[INT:Solis House-Living Room -Day白天在索利斯家的客廳]
(Gabrielle is returning from a shopping trip to find her husband and a lawyer in the living room加布麗爾購物回家發現丈夫和律師在客廳)
Gabrielle: Hi honey, I'm back.
親愛的,我回來了。
Carlos: Hey sweetie. This is Mr Steinberg, the attorney from the hospital.
寶貝,這是斯坦伯格先生,醫院的律師。
Gabrielle: Oh, have we met?
我們見過面嗎?
Mr Steinberg: Yes, Mrs Solis, we've met.
是的索利斯夫人,我們見過。
Carlos: Don't you remember, it was after Mama died. Apparently the hospital was negligent and agreed to a seven figure settlement cheque. A cheque I was never told about.
難道你不記得,媽媽去世以後,很明顯是醫院的失職,他們願意償付一筆7位數的和解金,一筆我根本不知道的錢。
negligent adj. 疏忽的;粗心大意的
Gabrielle: Oh that. Mr Steinberg?.
喔,那個啊 斯坦伯格先生
Mr Steinberg: I was just leaving.
我正準備走,
(Gabrielle and Carlos wait until Mr Steinberg closes the door before they start arguing.加布麗爾和卡洛斯等斯坦伯格先生關門離去後開始吵架)
Carlos: What were you thinking?
你到底在想什麼呢
Gabrielle: Wait, just let me explain.
等等,聽我解釋一下
Carlos: No, why the hell didn't you tell me?
你居然不告訴我
Gabrielle: Because I couldn't trust you to make the right decision.
因為我不相信你能做出正確的決定。
Carlos: No, the right decision was to use that money for my lawyers. We could have fought the indictment and then I wouldn't have had to take the plea bargain.
正確的決定就是用這筆錢去付我的律師費,這樣就能打贏官司,我就不用接受認罪協議。
Gabrielle: If you didn't take the plea deal the government would have seized the settlement.
如果你不接受認罪協議,政府會糾纏不清。
Carlos: Oh, we could have fought that in court.
那我們就繼續打官司
Gabrielle: Exactly and then you would have blown all the money on lawyer.
沒錯,然後你會把所有的錢付給律師
[俚語學習]
blow vt. 揮霍(金錢),浪費(機會)
to blow one's money on something: 把錢都浪費在了某樣東西上 .
He inherited over a million dollars and blew it all on drink and gambling.
他繼承了100多萬,全部揮霍在喝酒和賭博上了。
Carlos: Who cares! If there was a chance I didn't have to go to jail?
管他呢,只要有可能不去坐牢
Gabrielle: You had Laotian convicts sewing casual wear for 2 cents an hour. Don't you think you deserve a time out?
你讓老撾的囚犯以每小時2分錢的工錢為你縫製休閒服,你不覺得你罪有應得嗎?
Carlos: Eight months! Thanks to you I'm going away for eight months.
8個月,我感謝你,我要去做8個月的牢
Gabrielle: And when you get out we're going to have money to start over with. Thanks to me.
等你出來,你就會感謝我,多虧我我們才有資金東山再起。
(She retrieves her shopping from the chair.她從椅子上一把抓起剛買的東西)
Gabrielle: You know once you calm down, you're going to realise I did the right thing and when that happens, I'd appreciate an apology.
當你冷靜下來
(Walks away leaving Carlos dumbfounded.加布麗爾走了留下卡洛斯目瞪口呆)