雙語悅讀《木偶奇遇記》第17天

Poor little Blackbird! If he had only kept his words to himself! In the twinkling of an eyelid, the Cat leaped on him, and ate him, feathers and all.

可憐的畫眉!他幹嘛要跟匹諾曹說這些呢!話剛說完,那隻貓便縱身一跳,一把抓住畫眉,連皮帶毛一口把畫眉給活生生的吞了。

After eating the bird, he cleaned his whiskers, closed his eyes, and became blind once more.

吃掉了畫眉,貓把嘴巴擦乾淨,閉上了眼睛,又裝瞎子去了。

"Poor Blackbird!" said Pinocchio to the Cat. "Why did you kill him?"

"可憐的鳥兒!匹諾曹對貓說。"你為什麼要吃掉它?"

"I killed him to teach him a lesson. He talks too much. Next time he will keep his words to himself."

"我吃了他是為了給他一個教訓。他話太多了,下次他就不會多管閒事了。

By this time the three companions had walked a long distance. Suddenly, the Fox stopped in his tracks and, turning to the Marionette, said to him:

這時,三個臭味相投的人已經走了一段很長的路。突然,狐狸停住了腳步,轉身對木偶說:

"Do you want to double your gold pieces?"

"你想你的金幣變得更多嗎?"

"What do you mean?"

"你想說什麼?"

"Do you want one hundred, a thousand, two thousand gold pieces for your miserable five?"

"你想不想讓你那可憐的五個金幣變成100個,1000個,甚至2000個?"

"Yes, but how?"

"當然想,不過怎麼辦呢?"

"The way is very easy. Instead of returning home, come with us."

"那很容易。前提是你先不能回家,必須跟我們一起走。"

"And where will you take me?"

"那你們要帶我去哪呢?"

"To the City of Simple Simons."

"去天真西蒙斯之城。"

Pinocchio thought a while and then said firmly:

匹諾曹想了想,然後堅定地說:

"No, I don't want to go. Home is near, and I'm going where Father is waiting for me. How unhappy he must be that I have not yet returned! I have been a bad son, and the Talking Cricket was right when he said that a disobedient boy cannot be happy in this world. I have learned this at my own expense. Even last night in the theater, when Fire Eater. . . Brrrr! ! ! ! ! . . . The shivers run up and down my back at the mere thought of it."

"不,我不去。我家就在附近,我爸爸還在家等著我呢。昨天我沒有回去,他一定急壞了!我真是個不懂事的孩子。會說話的蟋蟀說得對:在這個世界上,淘氣的的孩子,是不會快樂的。我已經為我的所作所為受到應有的懲罰了。就在昨天晚上,在吞火人的廚房裡,我差點沒命了 !!!!!。我現在想想都渾身發抖呢。

"Well, then," said the Fox, "if you really want to go home, go ahead, but you'll be sorry."

"好吧,那麼,"狐狸說,"如果你真的想回家,也可以,但是你會後悔的。"

"You'll be sorry," repeated the Cat.

"你會後悔的。"貓附和著。

"Think well, Pinocchio, you are turning your back on Dame Fortune."

"好好想想,匹諾曹,不要錯失良機了。"

"On Dame Fortune," repeated the Cat.

"錯失良機,"貓又重複道。

"Tomorrow your five gold pieces will be two thousand!"

"明天你的五個金幣就變成兩千了!"

"Two thousand!" repeated the Cat.

"2000!"貓又重複了一遍。

"But how can they possibly become so many?" asked Pinocchio wonderingly.

"但是它們怎麼可能變成那麼多呢?"匹諾曹驚奇地問道。

"I'll explain," said the Fox. "You must know that, just outside the City of Simple Simons, there is a blessed field called the Field of Wonders. In this field you dig a hole and in the hole you bury a gold piece. After covering up the hole with earth you water it well, sprinkle a bit of salt on it, and go to bed. During the night, the gold piece sprouts, grows, blossoms, and next morning you find a beautiful tree, that is loaded with gold pieces."

"這麼跟你說,"狐狸說。"你一定知道,天真西蒙斯之城城外,有塊神奇的土地,人們叫它奇蹟之地。你只要在這塊地裡挖一個小洞,然後把一塊金幣放進去。蓋上土,澆上水,再撒上一點鹽。然後安安心心地去睡覺。就在你睡覺的時候,金塊開始發芽、長大、然後開花。等第二天早上你醒來,你會發現一棵美麗的大樹,樹上結滿了金幣。

"So that if I were to bury my five gold pieces," cried Pinocchio with growing wonder, "next morning I should find — how many?"

"那這樣的話,如果我埋了五個金幣,"匹諾曹越來越驚奇地叫道,"第二天早上我有——多少金幣?"

"It is very simple to figure out," answered the Fox. "Why, you can figure it on your fingers! Granted that each piece gives you five hundred, multiply five hundred by five. Next morning you will find twenty-five hundred new, sparkling gold pieces."

"那很容易算出來嘛,"狐狸回答說。"哎呀,你掰掰手指頭就算出來了!"假設每一塊金幣可以長出500個,用500乘以5。也就是說第二天早晨你會發現2500枚嶄新的閃閃發光的金幣。

"Fine! Fine!" cried Pinocchio, dancing about with joy. "And as soon as I have them, I shall keep two thousand for myself and the other five hundred I'll give to you two."

"太好了,太好了!匹諾曹大叫道,興奮得手舞足蹈。"等我收穫了這些金幣,自個兒留兩千,另外的五百都送給你們倆。"

"A gift for us?" cried the Fox, pretending to be insulted. "Why, of course not!"

"Of course not!" repeated the Cat.

"送給我們?"狐狸假裝受到了侮辱,大喊道。"啊,當然不是!"

"當然不是!貓重複道。

"We do not work for gain," answered the Fox. "We work only to enrich others."

"To enrich others!" repeated the Cat.

狐狸回答說:"我們可不是為了這個才這麼做的。""我們這麼做,唯一的目的就是讓他人先富起來。"

"讓他人先富起來!"貓和狐狸總是一唱一和。

"What good people," thought Pinocchio to himself. And forgetting his father, the new coat, the A-B-C book, and all his good resolutions, he said to the Fox and to the Cat:

"Let us go. I am with you."

"多好的人啊!"匹諾曹心想。他已經把他的父親,那件新外套,那本識字課本,還有他所有美好的願望,都拋到了九霄雲外。他對狐狸和貓說:

"那我們走吧,我和你們一起去。

單詞、短語應用

今天和大家講講英語數字的表達法。英語中,整百整千、萬後面是不用複數的,比如500(five hundred),5000(five thousand), 而是在後面的名詞加"s",比如:2000個金幣(two thousand gold pieces)。但是在表示概數的時候要加"s",比如: hundreds of, thousands of。

Hundreds of people were killed or wounded in the earthquake.(地震中有幾百人傷亡。)

整數的讀法:23,576讀作twenty-three thousand five hundred (and) seventy-six

7,405,235,169讀作seven billion four hundred (and) five million two hundred (and)

thirty-five thousand one hundred (and) sixty-nine

由以上一組數字可以看出,多位數由右向左每3位一個逗號,第一個逗號讀作thousand;

第二個逗號讀作million; 第三個逗號讀作billion; 第四個逗號讀作trillion. 例如,當你到

twenty thousand and eight 寫出20 "and eight" 意為後一組僅有個位,即008,這個數完

整地寫下來就是2008. 又如,若聽到"six million twenty thousand four hundred and

twenty-six",則第一步先寫6,020,再將最後一組426寫在第一個逗號後面。完整的數字為

6020426. 藉助三位一個逗號的規律,也能區分 "ty"與 "teen",多大的數字也不怕。


分享到:


相關文章: