02.29 We got 'em by the short hairs我抓住了他們的小辮子(抓住把柄)


[Gabrielle's House加布麗爾家].

(Gabrielle is sitting on the couch reading the paper. Carlos comes in the front door.加布麗爾坐在沙發上看報紙,卡洛斯從前門進來。)

Carlos: "Babe, they blinked! We got 'em by the short hairs!"

寶貝,他們服軟了。我抓住了他們的小辮子。(抓住了他們把柄)

blink 眨眼,閉眼不看, 寬恕,不咎(罪過)

have (或get) somebody by the short hairs (或curlies)

用作動詞的意思:(美國俚語)脅迫、要挾某人

(Carlos grabs Gabrielle's hand and pulls her up.卡洛斯抓住加布麗爾的手把她拉起來。)

Gabrielle: "Who? Who blinked?"

誰?誰服軟了?

(Carlos: "The DA.I just spoke to the lawyers. They offered a plea bargain."

地方檢察官

。我剛和律師們談過了。他們提供了一份認罪協議

(DA地方檢察官英文全稱】 District Attorney是美國縣一級司法管轄區的法律部門最高公務員,他負責監督副檢察官和助理檢察官們。負責代表政府提出刑事訴訟。根據各州法律的不同,地方檢察官可由所在司法管轄區的公民選舉產生,亦可由所在司法管轄區的行政長官委任。)

plea n.意為“懇求,請求;辯解,辯護;藉口,託辭”

bargain n.交易;便宜貨;契約

plea bargain[律]辯訴交易 ; 認罪求情協議

(辯訴交易制度是美國刑事訴訟中一項非常重要的訴訟制度 (以被告承認犯有輕罪而獲從輕處罰的認罪辯訴協議),其存在的價值取向在於更好地節約訴訟成本和控制由對抗式的訴訟程序所帶來的訴訟風險 ,曾被認為是程序公平的重要體現。)

Gabrielle: "And that's - good?"

是好事嗎?

Carlos: "It means they know they got a weak case. They don't think they can win. It's over."

那意味著他們知道自己理虧(證據不足),他們覺得自己贏不了,都結束了。

Gabrielle: "Oh my god! Honey, that means we can keep the house!"

天啊,那意味著我們能保住房子了。

Carlos: "No. We still have to sell the house. I gotta pay the lawyers."

不,我們還得賣掉房子,我得付律師費。

Gabrielle: "But I thought you said they offered a plea bargain."

可你不是說他們提供了一份認罪協議

Carlos: "Yeah, but we're not gonna take that."

沒錯,可我們不會接受。

Gabrielle: "Put me down."把我放下來。

(Carlos puts Gabrielle down.卡洛斯放下加布麗爾)

Carlos: "Honey, it would mean me going to jail for eight months."

親愛的,如果不賣房子的話,那意味著我要做8個月牢。

Gabrielle: "I think that's pretty reasonable considering you're guilty as sin!"

鑑於你確實罪有應得,我覺得很合理。

sin罪,罪惡

Carlos: "You said that you were fine with selling the house."

你本來同意賣房子的

Gabrielle: "That was before I knew we could trade a couple months in prison to keep it!"

那是我在知道蹲一陣子監獄就能保住它之前,

(The phone rings. Gabrielle goes over to answer it.電話響了,加布麗爾去接)

Gabrielle: "What? No, this is her daughter-in-law."

幹嘛?不是,我是她兒媳

Carlos: "Is it the hospital? Is it Mama?"

(Gabrielle turns away from Carlos.加布麗爾轉過身背對拉羅斯)

Gabrielle: "Ah, thank you, yes."

謝謝!好的。

(She hangs up.她掛斷電話)

Carlos: "Gabby?"加布?

Gabrielle: "I'm sorry, Carlos."

我很遺憾,卡洛斯

(She puts her arms around him and hugs him close. As she holds him, she smiles.她伸出雙臂緊緊抱住卡洛斯,臉上露出微笑)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Gabrielle's House]

(Pamphlets for crypts, caskets, and flowers are spread all over the coffee table.咖啡桌上擺著一堆賣墓地、棺材、鮮花的廣告宣傳單)

Mary Alice Voiceover:"Some believe people are judged by the way they live life, and others by the way they leave it."

有的人憑當世之事斷人,有的則憑身後之事斷人

Carlos: "I like the Lexington mahogany with gold leaf. It comes with a pink velvet interior and drapes. Plus it's hand-engraved so in case of a flood or earthquake, they'll at least be able to know which one is hers."

我喜歡這種帶金葉的萊剋星頓紅木,裡面是粉色的天鵝絨和垂幔,還有手工雕刻的面板,萬一洪水或地震,至少能辨別出哪個棺材是她的。

mahogany紅木

Gabrielle: "Don't you think that's a little over the top?"

你不覺得誇張了點嗎

over the top過火的,不得當的 ,誇張的

Carlos: "I want the best for Mama."

給媽媽的就要最好。

Gabrielle: "No, honey, these funeral homes make a fortune trying to convince people to overspend."

不,親愛的,不,寶貝,這些墓葬公司都想讓我們過度消費,他們好賺大錢。

Carlos: "What are you saying?"

你說什麼呢?

Gabrielle: "Well, I'm saying your mother was a sensible woman. She wouldn't be comfortable with all these bells and whistles. Maybe this one. Wood veneer!"

你媽媽很通情達理,她不會喜歡那些花裡胡哨的沒用的裝飾。這個吧,木製面板。

(Carlos closes his eyes and shakes his head.卡洛斯閉上眼睛直搖頭。)

Gabrielle: "What?"幹嘛?

Carlos: "You never liked Mama."

你從來就沒喜歡過媽媽

Gabrielle: "Well, it's awfully hard to like someone who actively hates your guts. She always thought you married beneath you and she let me know it."

要喜歡一個對你恨之入骨的人很難,她一向認為你屈尊娶了我,而且毫不避諱讓我知道。

Carlos: "She loved you."

她愛你的

Gabrielle: "She treated me like trash!" (crosses herself在自己身上畫十字) "God rest her soul."

她視我如垃圾。上帝讓她的靈魂安息。

Carlos: "I'm putting my mother in the grave. Now is not the time to pinch pennies."

我在籌備我媽媽的葬禮,現在不是斤斤計較的時候。

pinch pennies意思就是非常精打細算,甚至到了吝嗇和視錢如命的地步

精打細算; 錙銖必較; 非常節省斤斤計較

Gabrielle: "Carlos, we're not exactly flush with cash right now. Let her be true to her roots. She was born humble and barefoot."

卡洛斯,我們現在手頭很緊她出身卑微,讓她歸真反璞

humble 謙卑,低微。 barefoot 赤腳,赤足

Carlos: "She was a queen."

她是個女王。

(He walks away.)


分享到:


相關文章: