蘋果CEO蒂姆·庫克,新奧爾良杜蘭大學2019畢業典禮演講


蘋果CEO蒂姆·庫克,新奧爾良杜蘭大學2019畢業典禮演講

蘋果 CEO 蒂姆·庫克(Tim Cook)近期受邀來到新奧爾良杜蘭大學,為新一批畢業生髮表畢業致辭。在演講中,庫克鼓勵畢業生通過解決棘手的問題以及勇於試驗解決方案,來建設一個更好的社會。他還特別提到,要關心氣候變化問題,並鼓勵畢業生要傾聽別人的意見,而非貶低另一方,這樣才能做出實際貢獻。

Hello Tulane!

杜蘭的各位好!

Thank you President Fitts, Provost Forman, distinguished faculty, other faculty, and the entire Tulane family, including the workers, ushers, volunteers who prepared this beautiful space.

感謝菲茨校長、福爾曼教務長、尊敬的教職員工和其他教職員工,以及整個杜蘭大家庭,包括為這個美麗場地做準備的員工,接待人員和志願者們。

And I feel duty-bound to also recognize the hard-working bartenders at The Boot.

我還必須要認證The Boot酒吧調酒師們的努力。

Though they're not here with us this morning, I'm sure some of you are reflecting on their contributions as well.

儘管這個早晨他們不在現場,但我相信你們還在回味著他們的功勞。

And just as many of you have New Orleans in your veins, and perhaps your livers, some of us at Apple have New Orleans in our blood as well.

就像你們很多人血管或肝臟裡流淌著的新奧爾良的基因,我們蘋果的一些員工血液裡也有著新奧爾良的基因。

When I was a student at Auburn, the Big Easy was our favorite getaway.

當我還在奧本讀書的時候,奧爾良是我們最大的慰藉。

It's amazing how quickly those 363 miles fly by when you're driving toward a weekend of beignets and beer.

當開車迎接週末的煎餅和啤酒時,363英里的距離開過的如此之快。

And how slowly they go in the opposite direction.

而返程時又顯得如此緩慢。

Apple's own Lisa Jackson is a proud Tulane alum.

蘋果公司的Lisa Jackson是一位令人驕傲的杜蘭校友。

Yes.

對。

She brought the Green Wave all the way to Cupertino where she heads our environment and public policy work.

她將綠色浪潮一路帶到了庫比蒂諾並在那裡領導著我們的環境及公共政策工作。

We're thrilled to have her talent and leadership on our team.

我們團隊很高興能擁有她的天分和領導力。

OK, enough about us.

好了,不說我們了。

Let's talk about you.

來說說你們吧。

At moments like this, it always humbles me to watch a community come together to teach, mentor, advise, and finally say with one voice, congratulations to the class of 2019!

在這樣的時刻,我總是感到謙遜,能看到這樣一個團體一道進行教育,指導,建議以及最後發出相同的聲音,恭喜2019屆畢業生!

Now there's another very important group: your family and friends.

還有另一個非常重要的群體:你們的家庭和朋友。

The people who, more than anyone else, loved, supported, and even sacrificed greatly to help you reach this moment.

這些人比其他人都要更加愛你們,支持你們,甚至犧牲了很多來幫助你們走到今天。

Let's give them a round of applause.

讓我們為他們獻上掌聲。

This will be my first piece of advice.

這是我的第一個建議。

You might not appreciate until much later in your life how much this moment means to them.

可能很久以後你們才會意識到今天這個時刻對他們來說有多重要。

Or how that bond of obligation, love, and duty between you matters more than anything else.

或者你們之間的義務,愛和責任比任何事情都更重要。

In fact, that's what I really want to talk to you about today.

事實上,這是我今天真正想和你們說的。

In a world where we obsessively document our own lives, most of us don't pay nearly enough attention to what we owe one another.

在這個世界上我們總是過度記錄自己的生活,大多數人並不會把我們對彼此的虧欠放在心上。

Now this isn't just about calling your parents more, although I'm sure they'd be grateful if you did that.

這並不僅僅是多多給父母打電話,儘管我相信他們會因此感到很高興。

It's about recognizing that human civilization began when we realized that we could do more together.

這更是關於認識到人類文明始於我們意識到攜手的重要性。

That the threats and danger outside the flickering firelight got smaller when we got bigger.

只有我們變得強大了,閃爍的火光之外的威脅和危險就會變得更加弱小。

And that we could create more — more prosperity, more beauty, more wisdom, and a better life — when we acknowledge certain shared truths and acted collectively.

我們可以創造出更多——更多的繁榮、美麗、智慧以及更加美好的生活——只要我們承認某些共同的真理並採取集體性行動。

Maybe I'm biased, but I've always thought the South, and the Gulf Coast in particular, have hung on to this wisdom better than most.

可能我有偏見,但我總覺得南方,尤其是墨西哥灣岸區,比其他任何地區都更能堅持這種智慧。

In this part of the country, your neighbors check up on you if they haven't heard from you in a while.

在國內的這個地方,如果你的鄰居一段時間沒有你的消息就會詢問你的情況如何。

Good news travels fast because your victories are their victories too.

好消息傳得很快,因為你的成功也是他們的成功。

And you can't make it through someone's front door before they offer you a home-cooked meal.

在他們用一頓家常菜招待你之前是不可能走出人家家門的。

Maybe you haven't thought about it very much, but these values have informed your Tulane education too.

也許你們還沒有思考太多,但這些價值觀也影響著杜蘭大學的教育方式。

Just look at the motto: not for one's self, but for one's own.

看看這句座右銘:不為自己,更為所愛之人。

You've been fortunate to live, learn, and grow in a city, where human currents blend into something magical and unexpected.

你們很幸運能夠生活、學習和成長在這座城市裡,在這裡人類的潮流融合成了一種神奇且意想不到的東西。

Where unmatched beauty, natural beauty, literary beauty, musical beauty, cultural beauty, seem to spring unexpectedly from the bayou.

在這裡,無與倫比的美,自然的美,文學的美,音樂的美,文化的美,不期而至地從河口湧入。

The people of New Orleans use two tools to build this city: the unlikely and the impossible.

新奧爾良的人們用兩種東西建造出了這座城市:出乎意料和絕無可能。

Wherever you go, don't forget the lessons of this place.

不管你們將來去到那裡,不要忘記這個地方教給你們的東西。

Life will always find lots of ways to tell you no, that you can't, that you shouldn't, that you'd be better off if you didn't try.

生活總會通過各種方式告訴你不行,你不能這樣做,你不該那樣做,如果你不嘗試的話會更好。

But New Orleans teaches us there is nothing more beautiful or more worthwhile than trying.

但新奧爾良教會我們沒有比嘗試更美好和更有價值的事情了。

Especially when we do it not in the service of one's self, but one's own.

特別是當我們不是為了自己去嘗試,而是為我們所愛之人去嘗試的時候。

For me, it was that search for greater purpose that brought me to Apple in the first place.

於我而言,是想尋找更大目標的這一嘗試將我帶到了蘋果。

I had a comfortable job at a company called Compaq, that at the time looked like it was going to be on top forever.

我曾在一家名為康柏的公司擁有一份舒適的工作,當時看來康柏好像會永遠處於行業頂峰。

As it turns out, most of you are probably too young to even remember its name.

但如今,在座的各位年輕一代可能都沒聽說過這家公司的名字。

But in 1998, Steve Jobs convinced me to leave Compaq behind to join a company that was on the verge of bankruptcy.

1998年,史蒂夫·喬布斯說服我離開康柏加入一家瀕臨破產的公司。

They made computers, but at that moment at least, people weren't interested in buying them.

這家公司製造電腦,但至少在那時,人們沒有想要購買的意願。

Steve had a plan to change things.

史蒂夫有一個改變這一切的計劃。

And I wanted to be a part of it.

我心甘情願地加入到這個計劃中。

It wasn't just about the iMac, or the iPod, or everything that came after.

這不僅僅在於生產iMac,iPod以及之後的各種產品。

It was about the values that brought these inventions to life.

而在於為生活賦予創新的價值觀。

The idea that putting powerful tools in the hands of everyday people helps unleash creativity and move humanity forward.

讓人們在日常生活中也可以用到這些強大的工具,幫助釋放人們的創造力,推動人類進步。

That we can build things that help us imagine a better world and then make it real.

我們製造工具,幫助我們想象出一個更美好的世界然後讓夢想成真。

There's a saying that if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life.

曾有一句話是這樣說的,選擇一份熱愛的工作,接下來的人生中你就不會把它當成工作去對待。

At Apple, I learned that's a total crock.

我發現,在蘋果公司這話就是胡說八道。

You'll work harder than you ever thought possible, but the tools will feel light in your hands.

事實上你會比想象中工作地更加努力,但你手中的工具會讓你倍感輕鬆。

As you go out into the world, don't waste time on problems that have been solved.

當你走入社會之時,不要把時間浪費在已經解決的問題上。

Don't get hung up on what other people say is practical.

不要在別人口中的實用上徘徊不前。

Instead, steer your ship into the choppy seas.

相反,你應該揚帆起航去到波濤洶湧的大海。

Look for the rough spots, the problems that seem too big, the complexities that other people are content to work around.

去解決看似艱深的問題,去征服大的難題,去直面其他人不願面對的複雜事物。

It's in those places that you will find your purpose.

只有在這些地方,你才會找到你一生的目標。

It's there that you can make your greatest contribution.

只有在這些地方,你才能做出更大的貢獻。

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of being too cautious.

無論你做什麼事,不要犯下過於謹慎的錯誤。

Don't assume that by staying put, the ground won't move beneath your feet.

不要以為站在原地不動,腳下的地面就不會移動。

The status quo simply won't last.

現狀並不長久。

So get to work on building something better.

行動起來,一起創造更美好的未來。

In some important ways, my generation has failed you in this regard.

在一些重要的領域,我們這一代人辜負了你們。

We spent too much time debating.

我們花太多時間去爭論不休。

We've been too focused on the fight and not focused enough on progress.

我們太過專注鬥爭以至忽視了未來的發展。

And you don't need to look far to find an example of that failure.

這樣的失敗例子隨處可見。

Here today, in this very place, in an arena where thousands once found desperate shelter from a 100-year disaster, the kind that seem to be happening more and more frequently.

就在我們今天所在之地,100多年前成千上萬的人曾在這裡絕望得躲避災難,而這樣的災難似乎發生得越來越頻繁。

I don't think we can talk about who we are as people and what we owe to one another without talking about climate change.

我認為在談論我們是誰以及我們對彼此負有怎樣的責任之前,不能不談談氣候變化。

Thank you.

謝謝大家。

Thank you.

謝謝你們。

This problem doesn't get any easier based on whose side wins or loses an election.

氣候變暖和哪一方獲勝或誰當了總統無關。

It's about who has won life's lottery and has the luxury of ignoring this issue and who stands to lose everything.

而更像是你中了人生彩票幸運的得以無視這個問題,而其他人則要面臨失去一切的後果。

The coastal communities, including some right here in Louisiana, that are already making plans to leave behind the places they've called home for generations and head for higher ground.

沿海地區,包括在路易斯安納州的一些地方例如這裡,已經在規劃離開這片他們世世代代的家園前往地勢更高的地方。

The fishermen whose nets come up empty.

漁民的收成越來越少。

The wildlife preserves with less wildlife to preserve.

能保護的野生動物也越來越少。

The marginalized, for whom a natural disaster can mean enduring poverty.

對那些被邊緣化的人們而言,自然災害意味著令人絕望的貧窮。

Just ask Tulane's own Molly Keogh, who's getting her Ph. D. this weekend.

問問我們杜蘭大學的莫莉·吉奧,她這周剛剛拿到了自己的博士學位。

Her important new research shows that rising sea levels are devastating areas of Southern Louisiana more dramatically than anyone expected.

她的研究表明,海平面的上升給路易斯安納州南部地區造成的破壞遠超人們的預期。

Tulane graduates, these are people's homes.

杜蘭大學的畢業生們,這些都是人們的家園。

Their livelihoods.

是他們的生計所在。

The land where their grandparents were born, lived, and died.

他們的祖祖輩輩在這裡出生、過活、逝去。

When we talk about climate change or any issue with human costs, and there are many, I challenge you to look for those who have the most to lose, and find the real, true empathy that comes from something shared.

當我們談論氣候變化或任何與人類成本有關的問題時,這樣的問題實在太多了,我希望你們能關注到那些已經失去最多的人們,喚醒內心深處真切的同情。

That is really what we owe one another.

這正是我們對彼此的虧欠。

When you do that, the political noise dies down, and you can feel your feet firmly planted on solid ground.

當你做到這一點時,政治噪音就會消去,你會發現你的雙腳牢牢站立在堅實的地面上。

After all, we don't build monuments to trolls, and we're not going to start now.

畢竟,我們不會為"巨魔"建碑留念,至少我們這一代不會。

If you find yourself spending more time fighting than getting to work, stop and ask yourself who benefits from all the chaos.

如果你發現自己爭論的時間多過工作,停下來問問自己究竟誰能從這混亂中受益。

There are some who would like you to believe, that the only way that you can be strong is by bulldozing those who disagree, or never giving them a chance to say their peace in the first place.

總有人試圖讓你們相信,變得強大的唯一途徑就是威脅恐嚇那些與你意見相左之人,或是從一開始就不給對方任何求和的機會。

That the only way you can build your own accomplishments is by tearing down the other side.

個體的成功只能建立在粉碎對方的基礎上。

We forget sometimes that our preexisting beliefs have their own force of gravity.

我們有時會忘記先前所擁有的信仰有著他們自身的吸引力。

Today, certain algorithms pull toward you the things you already know, believe, or like, and they push away everything else.

今天,一些算法將你們誘導到你們已然知道、相信或喜歡的事物上,同時又令你們與餘下的世界漸行漸遠。

Push back.

不要這樣,要用力反擊,

It shouldn't be this way.

這不應是事物該有的樣子。

But in 2019, opening your eyes and seeing things in a new way can be a revolutionary act.

在2019年,睜開你們的眼睛以全新的方式去看待世界將成為一種革命性的舉動。

Summon the courage not just to hear but to listen.

鼓起勇氣,不僅要聽,更要用心傾聽。

Not just to act, but to act together.

不僅要行動,更要共同行動。

It can sometimes feel like the odds are stacked against you, that it isn't worth it, that the critics are too persistent and the problems are too great.

有時候你會覺得勝算完全不站在你這一邊,你會為所做的一切感到不值得,批評的聲音太喧囂,問題太過頑固。

But the solutions to our problems begin on a human scale with building a shared understanding of the work ahead and with undertaking it together.

但問題的解決始於一群擁有共同目標且願意一同行動的人。

At the very least, we owe it to each other to try.

至少為了彼此,我們都該拼一把。

It's worked before.

這樣的團結曾經有過。

In 1932, the American economy was in a free-fall.

1932年,美國經濟急速惡化。

Twelve million people were unemployed, and conventional wisdom said the only thing to do was to ride it out, wait, and hope that things would turn around.

1200萬人失業,經驗的智慧告訴我們唯一能做的只有承受,耐心等待,期待事情會慢慢變好。

But the governor of New York, a rising star named Franklin Roosevelt, refused to wait.

但當時紐約州的州長,一名叫富蘭克林·羅斯福的政界新星,拒絕等待。

He challenged the status quo and called for action.

他向當時的現狀發起挑戰,號召人們行動起來。

He needed people to stop their rosy thinking, face the facts, pull together, and help themselves out of a jam.

他告訴人們,停止那些不切實際的幻想,直面現實,團結起來,互相扶持走出困境。

He said: "The country demands bold, persistent experimentation.

他說:"我們的國家需要一場大膽、長久的試煉。

It is common sense to take a method and try it.

採取措施、大膽時間才是常理。

If it fails, admit it and try another.

如果失敗,那就承認失敗再進行其他嘗試。

But above all, try something".

但是無論如何,都不應放棄嘗試。"

This was a speech to college students fearful about their future in an uncertain world.

這是對一群即將踏入一個充滿不確定的世界、對未來充滿恐懼的學生們所做的演講。

He said: "Yours is not the task of making your way in the world, but the task of remaking the world".

他說道:"你們的使命不是讓自己在這個世界有立足之地,而是要重塑這個世界。"

The audacious empathy of young people, the spirit that says we should live not just for ourselves, but for our own.

年輕人敢於冒險的共性,大聲宣告不僅為了自己,更是為我們所擁有的努力奮鬥的精神。

That's the way forward.

這才是這個社會前行的關鍵。

From climate change to immigration, from criminal justice reform to economic opportunity, be motivated by your duty to build a better world.

從氣候變化到移民,從刑事司法到經濟機遇,把這個世界建設得更加美好是你們肩抗的責任,激勵你們向前。

Young people have changed the course of history time and time again.

古往今來,年輕人一次又一次地改變著歷史的進程。

And now it's time to change it once more.

現在是你們來改變歷史的時候了。

I know, I know the urgency of that truth is with you today.

我知道,今天的你們責任更加的重大。

Feel big because no one can make you feel small.

充滿自信,沒有人能讓你相形見絀。

Feel brave because the challenges we face are great but you are greater.

胸懷勇氣,我們迎接的挑戰已足夠棘手,但你們所要面臨的的只會更加棘手。

And feel grateful because someone sacrificed to make this moment possible for you.

勿忘感恩,有太多人奉獻了自己讓你得以走到今天。

You have clear eyes and a long life to use them.

你們有雙明亮的眼睛,還有一生的時間去好好使用。

And here in this stadium, I can feel your courage.

今天在這裡,我可以感受到各位的勇氣。

Call upon your grit.

拿出你們的勇氣。

Try something.

大膽嘗試。

You may succeed.

你會成功。

You may fail.

也會失敗。

But make it your life's work to remake the world, because there is nothing more beautiful or more worthwhile than working to leave something better for humanity.

但請以重塑世界為己任,沒有什麼比為人類留下一個更加美好的世界更為美妙、更有價值。

Thank you very much, and congratulations class of 2019!

祝賀2019屆的畢業生們,謝謝你們!


分享到:


相關文章: