雙語悅讀《木偶奇遇記》第18天

Chapter13

The Inn of the Red Lobster

紅龍蝦旅館

They walked and walked and walked until they arrived at the Inn of the Red Lobster

, tired to death.

貓、狐狸和小木偶走啊走啊走。終於來到了紅龍蝦旅館,可把他們累壞了。

"Let us stop here a little," said the Fox, "just long enough to get something to eat and rest ourselves. At midnight we can arrive at the Field of Wonders."

"我們在這兒歇歇吧,"狐狸說,"我們還有時間吃點東西休息一下。然後我們半夜再出發前往奇蹟之地。"

They entered the inn and seated themselves at the table, but none of them was hungry. The poor Cat felt very much indisposed and could eat only thirty-five mullets with tomato sauce and four portions of tripe; and because the tripe did not taste just right he called three times for butter and cheese to put on it.

一行三人走進旅館,圍著一張桌子坐了下來。不過他們誰都不覺得有多餓。可憐的貓好像有點不舒服,僅僅就著番茄汁吃了三十五條烏魚,和四份牛肚。因為牛肚實在太不好吃了,貓又叫了三份黃油奶酪才填飽肚子。

The Fox would willingly have ordered something, but as the doctor had told him to diet, he had to be contented with a nice fresh rabbit dressed with the giblets of chicken. After the rabbit, he ordered, as a finish to his meal, some partridges, some pheasants, some frogs, some lizards, and some bird of paradise eggs; and then he did not wish any more. He had such a distaste for food, he said, that he could not eat another mouthful.

狐狸呢,他很想點些什麼,但誰讓醫生這個時候讓他節食呢,所以他只能吃一些新鮮的東西,心滿意足地吃完小野兔配雞雜。然後,他又點了幾隻鷓鴣、幾隻山雞、加上幾隻青蛙、蜥蜴,還有一些極樂鳥蛋,這才算吃完他的晚餐。由於他吃得太飽對任何東西都沒有胃口了,他說,他撐得多一口都吃不下了。

Pinocchio ate the least of all. He asked for a piece of meat and some bread, but left everything on his plate. He could think of nothing but the Field of Wonders.

匹諾曹吃得最少。他點了一塊肉和一些麵包,卻幾乎動都沒動。這可憐的小夥計滿腦子都是奇蹟之地,正經受著金幣消化不良的折磨呢。

When they had supped the Fox said to the host: "Give me two good rooms, one for Mr. Pinocchio and another for me and my companion. Before we go we will ring the bell. Remember, however, to wake us at midnight so that we can go on with our journey."

吃過晚飯,狐狸對旅館老闆說:"要兩間房,一間給匹諾曹,一間給我和我朋友。我們出發前要小睡一會。不過記得午夜十二點整來叫醒我們,因為我們還要繼續趕路。"

"All right, sir," replied the host; and he winked his eye at the Fox and the Cat, as if to say, "We understand each other."

"遵命,先生。"老闆回答,還衝著狐狸和貓擠了擠眼,似乎在說"我懂"一樣。

Pinocchio had scarcely jumped into bed when he fell asleep and began to dream. He seemed to be in a field full of arbors, and each arbor was overgrown with vines covered with large bunches of grapes. Instead of grapes, however, they were all gold pieces, that made a noise when the wind blew; zin-zin-zin-zin. It was just as if they said, "Here we are! Let who will come and take us." When Pinocchio was on the point of reaching for them he heard a loud knocking at the door of his room.

It was the landlord who came to tell him that the clock had struck midnight.

匹諾曹一沾到床就沉沉睡去,還做了個夢。夢裡,他置身於一片長滿喬木田地的中央,每一片喬木上都長滿了葡萄藤,葡萄藤上掛滿了大串大串的葡萄。那些果實可不就是金燦燦的金幣嗎!?它們在微風中搖曳,歡樂地閃著光,彷彿是在說:"誰想要我們就拿走吧!"正當匹諾曹伸長了手想要抓一把金幣下來,響亮的敲門聲把他驚醒了。原來是旅館老闆來通知他午夜已到。

"And are my companions ready?" asked the marionette.

"我的朋友們準備好了嗎?"小木偶問。

"Better than that! They left two hours ago."

"早準備好咯!他們兩小時前就走啦。"

"Why were they in such a hurry?"

"怎麼這麼著急啊?"

"Because the Cat received word that his father was very sick with frosted feet and that he was in danger of losing his life."

"很不幸,貓收到了封電報,說他父親飽受凍瘡折磨,就快沒命了。他甚至都來不及跟你說再見呢。"

"And they paid for the supper?"

"他們付晚餐錢了嗎?"

"What do you think those people are? They are too highly educated to insult a gentleman as good as you are."

"這種事情他們怎麼做得出來呢?那二位可是極有涵養的人,不可能冒犯像您這樣好的紳士。

"Oh, yes! That affront would have displeased me very much," said Pinocchio, hastily. Then he asked the landlord, "Did they say where I should meet them?"

"那是,我還巴不得他們這樣冒犯我呢。"匹諾曹急忙說。"哦,對了,他們有沒有說去要在哪裡和他們見面。"匹諾曹問店主

"At the Field of Wonders, tomorrow morning at daybreak."

"在奇蹟之地,明天一早日出時分見。"

Pinocchio paid a gold piece for his supper and that of his companions, and then departed. He groped his way along, because outside the inn it was so dark that he could not see anything. It was very quiet and not even a leaf stirred. Some birds flying along the road struck Pinocchio on the nose with their wings. He jumped back and cried out with fear. "Who goes there?" The echo of the surrounding hills took up his words and repeated, "Who goes there?" "Who goes there?" "Who goes there?"

匹諾曹給了老闆一個金幣結清了三個人的晚餐,踏上了去往奇蹟之地的致富之路。

他就這麼一直走啊走啊,也不知道去向何方,因為天實在太黑了,黑得簡直伸手不見五指,四周安靜得連一片飄動的樹葉都能聽到。幾隻蝙蝠時不時地掠過他的鼻尖,他往後一退,嚇得大叫起來。:"誰在那兒?"只有遠處的群山用迴音應道:"誰在那兒?誰在那兒?誰在……"

As he walked on, he saw on the trunk of a tree a little creature that shone with a pale opaque light, just like a candle behind a globe of transparent porcelain.

走著走著,匹諾曹忽然注意到一個樹樁上有個小小的昆蟲,發出淡淡的不透明的光,就像一個透明瓷球后麵點著一根蠟燭。

"Who are you?" asked Pinocchio.

"你是誰呀?"匹諾曹問。

"I am the Spirit of the Talking Cricket," it replied, with a little voice that seemed to come from another world.

"我是會說話的蟋蟀的幽靈呀。"小東西答道,他的聲音是那麼微弱,聽上去彷彿是從遙遠的另一個世界傳來一般。

"What do you want with me?"

"你想怎麼樣?"

"I wish to warn you. Go back, with your four gold pieces that you have left, to your Papa, who cries and thinks he shall never see you again."

"我就想給你幾句忠告罷了。回家吧,把你剩下的四個金幣交給你那可憐的老爸,他好多天都沒有見到你了,現在哭得正傷心呢,以為再也見不到你了。"

"Tomorrow my Papa will be a very rich man, because these four pieces will become two thousand."

"我老爸明天就會變成有錢人了,因為這四個金幣會變出兩千個來的。"

"Do not trust those who promise to make you rich in one night, my boy. Usually they are mad or deceitful. Listen to me and go back.""I want to go on."

"承諾讓你一夜暴富的人的話不能聽啊,我的孩子。他們要麼就是傻子,要麼就是騙子,聽我的話,快回家吧。" "可我想繼續走!"

"The hour is late."

"已經很晚了!"

"I want to go on."

"我就想繼續走。"

"The night is dark."

"夜色太黑啦。"

"I want to go on."

"我就想繼續走。"

"The road is dangerous."

"路上很危險。"

"I want to go on."

"我就想繼續走。"

"Remember that boys who always do what they want to will sooner or later repent."

"The same old story! Good night, Cricket."

"記住,太任性的孩子遲早要吃苦頭的。"

"還是那老一套,晚安,蟋蟀。"

"Good night, and may you escape from the assassins!''

"晚安,匹諾曹,願你免遭殺禍之災。"

The Talking Cricket had hardly said these words when he suddenly disappeared just as if someone had blown the light out, and the road was darker than ever.

會說話的蟋蟀剛說完這句話,那點微光就消失了,好像有人把燈突然吹滅了,道路比之前更黑了。

單詞、短語應用

put on:

①穿、戴、塗、抹;

He put on his coat, scarf and went out.

(他穿上大衣,戴上圍巾就出門了。)

I haven't even put any lipstick on yet.

(我甚至連口紅都沒有抹。)

②上演、舉辦;

Air China is putting on an extra flight to Beijing during the Spring Festival.

(中國航空公司春節期間將增加一班到北京的航班。)

The band is expected to put on a Chinese show before the end of the year.

(那個樂隊有望年底之前在中國演出。)

③開動(設備、裝置等);

I put on the radio to listen English.

(我打開了收音機聽英語。)

I put on some music while I ate.

(我邊吃東西邊聽音樂。)

④提高…的成本;

The measure could put 1yuan on per kilogram of meat.

(這項措施會使每公斤豬肉漲價一元。)

Can smokers complain if more tax is put on cigarettes?

(如果對香菸增稅,吸菸者會抱怨嗎?)

⑤增加(體重)。

I can eat what I want but I never put on weight.

(我能想吃什麼就吃什麼,但是體重從來不增加。)

He has put on four kilos since he quit smoking.

(他戒菸以來體重已增加了四公斤。)


分享到:


相關文章: