英國那些奇怪、非同尋常的傳統,你知道嗎?


Welcome back to engVid with me, Benjamin.

歡迎回到“engVid with me”,我是本傑明。

Today I'm going to be telling you, sharing with you a few of our more outlandish traditions here in the UK. For a very small island we've got lots of weird and wacky things going on.

今天我要告訴大家,與大家分享我們在英國的一些古怪的傳統。對於一個非常小的島嶼,我們有很多怪誕的事情發生。

So, I'm going to be trying to explain what some of these are.

我試圖來解釋其中一部分事情。

What's this video good for?

這個視頻的益處是什麼呢?

This is understanding the sort of culture, getting underneath the skin of it, and really exploring the culture and traditions of the UK. Okay, let's go.

在於理解那種文化、挖掘深層意義,真正的探索英國的文化和傳統。好吧,讓我們開始吧。

The "Last Night of the Proms".

“最後的舞會之夜”。

Not everyone is a fan of this.

並不是所有人都是它的粉絲。

The Proms is a long line of concerts that go on in the Royal Albert Hall in London just near Hyde Park every summer.

這個舞會是每年夏天在倫敦皇家艾伯特亭舉行的一系列音樂會,位於海德公園附近。

The last night is obviously the last of those concerts.

最後一夜很明顯就是最後的一場演出。

And lots of people wave their Union Jacks and sing along to slightly jingoist-. . .

很多人揮動著國旗,一路唱著歌緩緩前來。

Jingoistic, which means a funny sense of pride in one's nation.

沙文主義者意思就是有民族自豪感的人。

Patriotic songs, like: "Rule Britannia", etc. "The Monster Raving Loony Party".

愛國的歌曲,像“統治大不列顛”“怪物咆哮派對”等。

So whereas this is very traditional and very straight down the line,this is pretty left side, pretty. . .

因此這是非常傳統的,意義很鮮明的,極左派的。

pretty out there.

很張揚的。

"Monster Raving Loony Party" was started by a member at the aristocracy called "The Screaming Lord Sutch", he was some sort of Earl of Harrow or something like this.

“怪物咆哮派對”起源於貴族中的一個成員,被稱作“The Screaming Lord Sutch”,他是哈羅伯爵或諸如此類的人物。

Some of his manifestos: "Vote for insanity".

他的宣言包括:“為瘋狂投票”。

Now, whereas the main political parties orientate themselves in terms of left, right, or center according to their political beliefs, Screaming Lord Sutch said that his political position was: "Sitting, facing forward".

而主要政黨則以左派、右派、中立派為核心,根據他們的政治信仰,Screaming Lord Sutch稱其政治立場是:“面向前方坐著”。

Okay?

明白了麼?

I used short hand in my annotation at the board, here: "Pol" short for "Political".

我在黑板上用簡寫表示:"Pol"表示政治立場。

But he has achieved some success.

他有一些成功的地方。

These are three policies that they came up with that have all been adopted in the UK. First of all, we have a vote for anyone aged 18 or above.

他們提出的三項政策都已在英國得到批准。首先,我們可以為年滿18歲以上的任何人投票。

Before that I believe it was 21.

之前我記得要求是21歲。

"Pet passports", we now have pass. . .

“寵物護照”,我們現在能讓。

Dogs can have a passport and travel abroad.

狗辦理護照並出國。

And we do have all-day pubs.

我們有24小時的酒吧。

So, it was probably a bit of a joke to start with: "Let's have all-day pubs", because they're only open in the evening 30 years ago, and now you can go in from 11 o'clock.

因此,一開始可能只是一個笑話:“讓我們享受到24小時酒吧吧”,這在30年前是隻有在午夜開放的,現在11點酒吧就能對外開放了。

Not to be endorsed whole-heartedly, though, all-day drinking. Right. "Baked Beans Museum", yes, we do have a museum for baked beans.

雖然全天候開放的酒吧沒有得到完全的贊同。好吧。“烘焙豆博物館”,沒錯,我們確實有這樣的博物館。

It's in Port Talbot, number. . .

位於塔爾伯特港...

Port Talbot in Wales, and it's ranked number 4 out of 15 attractions in Port Talbot.

威爾士的塔爾伯特港,在當地15個景點中排名第四。

"The Ugly Face Competition", yes, we have an annual competition for gurning, going. . . Pulling weird faces.

“醜陋面相比賽”,沒錯,我們每年都有這樣的比賽。通過各種做鬼臉。

It happens in September in Cumbria which is in the northwest of the United Kingdom.

每年9月在英國西北部的坎布里亞郡。

"Morris dancing", this looks a little bit like this.

“莫里斯舞”,看起來有點像這樣的。

Okay?

明白了麼?

I wave handkerchiefs, and I would have bells down here on my feet.

我揮舞著手絹,腳上掛著鈴鐺。

So waving your handkerchief, okay?

揮起你的手絹,好嗎?

This has been a tradition in the UK since 1448, that's the first recorded date of Morris dancing.

從1448年,英國就有了這樣的傳統,那是第一次記載莫里斯舞的日子。

I witnessed it more recently.

我最近有幸見證了這個舞蹈。

In Suffolk there's a village there called Middleton, every Boxing Day they have a precession of the wren.

在薩福克郡有個叫米德爾頓的村莊,每個節日都有鷦鷯裝扮的遊行。

It's quite strange.

很奇怪。

Basically they put sort of. . .

基本上他們把,

They black themselves out and there is a sort of march of a dead wren to celebrate some sort of mid-winter pagan festival.

他們把自己塗黑,用類似於死亡鷦鷯的遊行來慶祝某個仲冬異教徒節日。

"The boat race", this is an annual event that happens in the middle of April.

“划船比賽”,是每年4月中旬都會舉行的運動。

It's the. . .

它就是...

Is it 8-man team or 8-lady team?

8個人的男隊還是女隊?

From Oxford and Cambridge.

來自牛津和劍橋。

It goes from I believe Hammersmith Bridge to Putney Bridge, and the winner of the team, they get to throw the person who's been steering, the cox, into the river.

我記得是從哈默史密斯橋到普特尼橋,獲勝的隊伍,他們把舵手扔進河裡。

Okay?

明白了麼?

So that happens every year.

每年都有這樣的事情。

If you're watching this from Holland, I believe you're quite adept,you're quite good at doing similar activities yourselves.

如果你是荷蘭的觀眾,我相信你很瞭解,你們很擅長做這樣類似的活動。

Now, I know Britain are doing quite well in Olympics these days, but back in the 1970s, we struggled, and there was a couple of people who were sat outside a pub in Derbyshire, which in the middle of the country, it's in the Midlands and they were like: "Aw, we're not winning anything at the Olympics. We've got, you know. . . All our teams are doing terribly. Let's invent a sport we can actually win at."So they invented "toe wrestling".

現在我知道了為什麼英國人那時候在奧利匹克上表現的那麼好了,回到七十年代,我們掙扎著,有幾個人坐在德比郡的一家酒吧外面,在中部地區,他們就像是:“我們在奧林匹克上什麼都贏不了。我們做到了,你知道的...我們所有的隊伍都很糟糕。讓我們發明一個可以贏的運動吧。”因此他們創造了“腳趾摔跤”。

The problem was that in 1976 a Canadian came along and won the competition.

在1976年發生了變化,一個加拿大人參與進來贏得了比賽。

They were so upset by this that they decided to call the whole thing off for a few years;they went into a sulk.

他們為此感到不安,叫停了好幾年;他們感到很生氣。

But I'm pleased to say that toe wrestling is now back on, and if you go out to Derbyshire maybe you can find it yourselves.

但我很慶幸的說,腳趾摔跤運動又恢復了,如果你去德比郡,也許你就能看到了。

"Bog snorkelling", so this is a very English kind of idea or British idea, the idea that you would go swimming through a kind of nasty, muddy, long puddle.

“沼澤浮潛”,這是一種非常英式的想法,你會在一個骯髒、泥濘、很長的水坑裡游泳。

Bog, mud, okay?

沼澤、泥漿,好吧。

Dirt.

太髒了。

Snorkel going up so that you can breathe whilst you are under water.

這樣的浮潛會讓你在水下進行呼吸。

This was invented in Wales in 1976.

這是1976年在威爾士發明的。

And if you have a look at the pictures of bog snorkelling, you'll see that people wear fancy dress, all sorts of unusual costumes.

如果你看一眼沼澤浮潛的照片,你會看到人們穿著奇裝異服,各種各樣的衣服。

There was one that I particularly liked where. . .

有一個我特別喜歡的地方...

Obviously the person is swimming like this, but they had a boat on top of them.

很明顯的看到,人們會像這樣游泳,在他們頂上有一個船。

So all that you could see as the person was going along was this boat going along the water.

你看到人們沿著船和水流方向前進。

Now, you're not allowed to use swimming strokes, and no breast stroke, no front crawl, no back stroke, you kind of just have to sort of push your way through.

不允許你使用泳姿,沒有蛙泳,沒有自由泳,沒有仰泳,你只能通過某種方式推動前進。

And it's 60 yards, you go there and then you go back.

有60碼的距離,你游過去再游回來。

Sounds quite fun, give it a go. Right. The next in our sort of calendar of strange events: "Guy Fawkes night".

聽起來不錯啊,不妨嘗試一下。好吧。接下來的奇聞異事是:“蓋伊福克斯之夜”。

So this commemorates, this remembers when Guido Fawkes, the Catholic revolutionary-shall we say?

為了紀念天主教革命者Guido Fawkes-我們應該說什麼呢?

-tried to explode the Houses of Parliament with his gun-powder plot in 1605.

-在1605年試圖用火藥炸燬國會大廈的陰謀。

Now, at the beginning of November-well-remembered, Benjamin-we make a model of Guy Fawkes.

在11月初—本傑明記得很清楚—我們做了一個Guy Fawkes的塑像。

Okay?

清楚了麼?

And we put him on a bonfire and we set fire to him, and we say: "Remember, remember the 5th of November, gun powder, treason, and plot. And we never will forget", dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah.

我們把它放在篝火上,燒了它,我們說:“記住11月5日,火藥,叛國,陰謀。我們絕不忘記。”

So it's quite strange.

特別的奇怪。

There's always an odd feeling as you see this person, this effigy being burnt. Right. Some vocab.

當你看到這個人的時候,總是有一種奇怪的感覺,塑像被燒掉了。對吧。找幾個詞形容一下。

What I thought I'd do is provide a few different ways of saying: "Weird".

我想我會列舉出幾種不同的說法來表示:“怪異”。

You could say: "Unusual".

你可以說成“不尋常的”。

Okay?

對吧?

So we have "usual" means ordinary, I put the prefix in, it means not ordinary.

我們有“尋常的”,意思是普通的,我把前綴放進去,就變成不尋常了。

"Quirky", this is more for sort of conversational English, the word "quirky", but it means, again, weird.

“古怪的”,這更適用於英語裡的“古怪的”一次,意思,也是奇怪的。

Slightly eccentric.

有點古怪的。

"Odd", I wouldn't want to be called odd by someone.

“古怪”,我不會用這個詞形容某人。

It's a little bit insensitive.

這個詞不太敏感。

"The odd one out" means the one you would. . .

"The odd one out"意思就是你越想讓它這樣,

The one that is different.

它越是不這樣。

"Odd", different.

“Odd”,異類。

"Bizarre","bizarre" means strange.

"Bizarre","bizarre",意思就是奇怪的。

"Oh, that's so bizarre, it's so kind of. . . That's unusual. It's different".

“這太奇怪了,類似於這很不尋常。大有不同”。

"Un peu bizarre", so we use that word in French, too.

"Un peu bizarre",在法語中我們這樣用。

"Creepy", this has a slightly dark connotation.

“毛骨悚然的”,略帶負面的含義。

If something's creepy, it makes you. . .

如果某事令你毛骨悚然,它會讓你...

You get a bad feeling about it.

你會有很糟糕的感覺。

"Curious", okay?

“奇異的”,對吧?

So there's a play on the west end at the moment called The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

在西部有一個演出叫做深夜小狗神秘事件。

"Curious" means unusual.

“奇異的”意思就是不尋常的。

"Eccentric", so this would be a good word to describe the Monster Raving Loony Party.

“古怪的”,這是一個正面的詞彙,可以描述怪物咆哮派對。

They're very left field, very. . .

他們非常左派,非常...

They're very, very unusual.

非常非常不尋常。

"Far-out", this is an American composite word,"far-out", again, it means weird, strange.

“激進的”,美語中的合成詞,意思是奇怪的,怪誕的。

"Kooky", this is not a word you would use in your writing.

“怪異的”,這不是一個單詞,書寫中不要使用它。

Again, meaning weird.

意思是奇怪的。

"Magical", this is a sort of a polite way of saying that someone is odd.

“神奇的”,這是一種禮貌的表達某人古怪的方式。

They're magical.

他們挺神奇的啊。

Okay?

懂了麼?

Their head's in the clouds maybe slightly.

他們的腦袋可能飄到天上去了。

"Mysterious", and we've got the noun,"mystery".

“神秘的”,還有它的名詞“神秘”。

Okay?

懂了麼?

We want to know, we want to wonder, we want to imagine what it is.

我們很想知道,很想弄清楚,希望能想象到它是什麼樣的。

"Mysterious".

就用“神秘的”。

Okay?

清楚了嗎?

So what does "mysterious" mean?

“神秘的”是什麼意思呢?

It means having something unknown about it.

意思就是遇到了未知的事情。

Okay?

明白了麼?

We don't fully understand.

我們沒有完全理解。

"An oddball","an oddball" is probably slightly more familiar than "odd", it's slightly more affectionate, slightly nicer, but it still means very strange.

“一個古怪的人”,“一個古怪的人”語義更輕微,與"odd"意思相近,略微多情的,稍微好一點,但還是表示很奇怪的意思。

"Outlandish", this is a good word, this is a word that you could use in a piece of writing.

“古怪的”,這是一個正面的詞彙,你可以用在寫作裡。

"Outlandish", again, it means strange.

“古怪的”,意思就是奇怪的。

Okay?

懂了麼?

Maybe think of out of the land, it's kind of pretty far, far out.

也許想到異國他鄉,會感覺很遠很遠。

"Peculiar","peculiar", okay?

“特有的”,“特有的”,好吧?

This is another good formal word, here.

這是另外一個正面的正式用語。

And, again, it means strange.

意思就是奇特的。

Hope you've enjoyed.

希望你有所收穫。

Why not have a go at the quiz now?

為什麼現在不去測驗一下呢?

I'm sure it'll be a little bit of fun for you.

我相信你會對此產生樂趣的。

And do come and visit our wonderful and strange island, and maybe attend one of these.

一定要來參觀我們美麗而奇特的島嶼,並加入其中的一個。

I'm sure it'll be fun.

我相信會很有趣的。

Until next time.

下次見。


分享到:


相關文章: