英语听力(20200322T08):在深海中标记金枪鱼


听力原文如下

<code>1.I've been fascinated for a lifetime by the beauty, form and function of giant bluefin tuna.
我一生都为 巨型蓝鳍金枪鱼的美丽、 外形和机能所着迷。
2.Bluefin are warmblooded like us.
蓝鳍金枪鱼像我们一样是恒温动物。
3.They're the largest of the tunas, the second-largest fish in the sea -- bony fish.
他们是体型最大的金枪鱼, 海洋中的第二大的硬骨鱼。
4.They actually are a fish that is endothermic -- powers through the ocean with warm muscles like a mammal.
他们实际上是一种 温血动物-- 以充满温血的肌肉(如同哺乳动物一样)横扫海洋
5.That's one of our bluefin at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
那是在蒙特雷湾水族馆中的一种蓝鳍金枪鱼。
6.You can see in its shape and its streamlined design it's powered for ocean swimming.
你看它的形状和它流线型的设计 使得它在海洋中游刃有余。
7.It flies through the ocean on its pectoral fins, gets lift, powers its movements with a lunate tail.
靠着它的胸鳍,它在海洋中飞翔,上下沉浮, 新月状的鱼尾更增进了它 的行动能力。
8.It's actually got a naked skin for most of its body, so it reduces friction with the water.
实际上它的大部分身体都是裸露着的皮肤, 这样减小了与水的摩擦阻力。
9.This is what one of nature's finest machines.
这是自然界最棒的机器之一。
10.Now, bluefin were revered by Man for all of human history.
蓝鳍金枪鱼 在整个人类历史中 都受到人们的尊敬。
11.For 4,000 years, we fished sustainably for this animal, and it's evidenced in the art that we see from thousands of years ago.
4000年来,我们以可持续性的方式对它们进行捕捞, 几千年前的艺术品 可以充分的 证明这一点。

12.Bluefin are in cave paintings in France.
在法国,蓝鳍金枪鱼出现在洞穴壁画中。
13.They're on coins that date back 3,000 years.
它们早在 3000年前就出现在硬币上。
14.This fish was revered by humankind.
这类鱼类是受人类尊重的。
15.It was fished sustainably till all of time, except for our generation.
一直以来 人类都可持续地捕捞它们, 除了我们这一代。
16.Bluefin are pursued wherever they go -- there is a gold rush on Earth, and this is a gold rush for bluefin.
蓝鳍金枪鱼无论到那里都被捕捞。 地球曾经出现过淘金热, 而这次是追求蓝鳍金枪鱼的热潮。
17.There are traps that fish sustainably up until recently.
捕捞原本一直是可持续的 而今非昔比。
18.And yet, the type of fishing going on today, with pens, with enormous stakes, is really wiping bluefin ecologically off the planet.
而且, 现在的捕捞方式 有大量资金和舆论支持, 这等于是正在将蓝鳍金枪鱼 从地球的生态版图上抹去。
19.Now bluefin, in general, goes to one place: Japan.
总的来说现在的蓝鳍金枪鱼 都到了 日本。
20.Some of you may be guilty of having contributed to the demise of bluefin.
在座的各位中可能 就有间接导致它们走向灭绝的刽子手。
21.They're delectable muscle, rich in fat -- absolutely taste delicious.
它们美味的肉 富含脂肪的肉 一定让人回味无穷吧
22.And that's their problem; we're eating them to death.
但这就是问题了, 我们正将它们吃到灭亡!
23.Now in the Atlantic, the story is pretty simple.
现在在大西洋, 故事很简单。

24.Bluefin have two populations: one large, one small.
蓝鳍金枪鱼群有两大分布, 一大一小
25.The North American population is fished at about 2,000 ton.
西边 也就是北美那边 大概每年捕捞2,000吨
26.The European population and North African -- the Eastern bluefin tuna -- is fished at tremendous levels: 50,000 tons over the last decade almost every year.
南边也就是欧洲,北非那边的蓝鳍金枪鱼 正以惊人的速度被捕捞 在过去10年里几乎每年50,000吨。
27.The result is whether you're looking at the West or the Eastern bluefin population, there's been tremendous decline on both sides, as much as 90 percent
结果就是无论你对 西边 或东边 蓝鳍金枪鱼的数量 都有如果以1950年 的数量为基准来衡量的话,
28.if you go back with your baseline to 1950.
金枪鱼的数量都已经出现了90%左右的 急剧的下滑。
29.For that, bluefin have been given a status equivalent to tigers, to lions, to certain African elephants and to pandas.
因此,蓝鳍金枪鱼被给予了 与老虎,狮子 某些非洲象 和 熊猫相同的地位
30.These fish have been proposed for an endangered species listing in the past two months.
两个月前这些鱼被提议 列入濒危物种的清单。
31.They were voted on and rejected just two weeks ago, despite outstanding science that shows from two committees this fish meets the criteria of CITES I.
但在两个星期前的投票中 这一提议被否决。 即使两个委员会的 杰出研究显示 这个鱼种符合濒危野生动植物种国际贸易公约附录1(CITES I) 的标准。
32.And if it's tunas you don't care about, perhaps you might be interested that international long lines and pursing chase down tunas and bycatch animals
就算如果你对金枪鱼感到无所谓, 那你可能会对 国际性捕捞企业 追捕金枪鱼和附带捕捞的动物
33.such as leatherbacks, sharks, marlin, albatross.
如棱皮龟,鲨鱼, 枪鱼, 信天翁感兴趣。

34.These animals and their demise occurs in the tuna fisheries.
这些动物它们的终结 同样发生在金枪鱼的捕捞地区。
35.The challenge we face is that we know very little about tuna, and everyone in the room knows what it looks like when an African lion
我们面对的挑战是 我们对金枪鱼几乎一无所知, 所有这间房里的人们都能认出非洲狮 扑到猎物
36.takes down its prey.
的场景。
37.I doubt anyone has seen a giant bluefin feed.
但我怀疑不是所有人都见过蓝鳍金枪鱼捕食。
38.This tuna symbolizes what's the problem for all of us in the room.
这种金枪鱼代表着 一个普遍问题
39.It's the 21st century, but we really have only just begun to really study our oceans in a deep way.
现在是21世纪, 但我们对海洋的深入了解 才刚刚开始。
40.Technology has come of age that's allowing us to see the Earth from space and go deep into the seas remotely.
科技使我们来到这样一个时代: 我们能在太空中远观地球, 也能在深入观察远海。
41.And we've got to use these technologies immediately to get a better understanding of how our ocean realm works.
我们必须将这些技术运用起来 使我们对海洋王国 有一个更加深刻的了解
42.Most of us from the ship -- even I -- look out at the ocean and see this homogeneous sea.
我们中的大多数,包括我, 面对海洋,看到的是广阔的单一的海水。
43.We don't know where the structure is.
我们不知道大海的结构,
44.We can't tell where are the watering holes like we can on an African plain.
不能像在非洲平原上 找到哪里有水潭。
45.We can't see the corridors, and we can't see what it is that brings together a tuna, a leatherback and an albatross.
我们不知道海洋的经纬, 我们不知道是什么 将金枪鱼 和信天翁联系在了一起

46.We're only just beginning to understand how the physical oceanography and the biological oceanography come together to create a seasonal force
我们才刚刚开始了解 物理上的海洋学 是如何与生物上的海洋学 相结合 从而创造出一个可能形成
47.that actually causes the upwelling that might make a hot spot a hope spot.
一个聚集点 的上涌的季节性力量。
48.The reasons these challenges are great is that technically it's difficult to go to sea.
挑战之所以巨大,是因为 技术上说,海上作业是困难的。
49.It's hard to study a bluefin on its turf, the entire Pacific realm.
我们很难在蓝鳍金枪鱼的地盘--整个太平洋 研究它。
50.It's really tough to get up close and personal with a mako shark and try to put a tag on it.
人真的很难接近灰鲭鲨 给它上面贴标签更是困难。
51.And then imagine being Bruce Mate's team from OSU, getting up close to a blue whale and fixing a tag on the blue whale that stays, an engineering challenge
想象下 俄亥俄州立大学的布鲁斯麦特的团队吧, 接近一个蓝鲸 并在它上面固定标签 可以说 是一个工程难题
52.we've yet to really overcome.
我们至今还没真正克服这项难题。
53.So the story of our team, a dedicated team, is fish and chips.
而我们这个敬业的队伍的主要方向是 鱼与芯片。(双关语:又指西方流行食品炸鱼薯条)
54.We basically are taking the same satellite phone parts, or the same parts that are in your computer, chips.
我们基本上是用 卫星电话的组件, 或者是你电脑中的组件。
55.We're putting them together in unusual ways, and this is taking us into the ocean realm like never before.
我们将其以特殊的方式合并, 这将以前所未有的方式 将我们带如海洋世界。
56.And for the first time, we're able to watch the journey of a tuna beneath the ocean using light and photons to measure sunrise and sunset.
我们第一次 能够观察金枪鱼在水下的行动 并利用光 来测量日落和日出。

57.Now, I've been working with tunas for over 15 years.
我已经与金枪鱼一起工作15年了。
58.I have the privilege of being a partner with the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
我有幸成为蒙特雷湾水族馆 的合作成员。
59.We've actually taken a sliver of the ocean, put it behind glass, and we together have put bluefin tuna and yellowfin tuna on display.
我们将海中非常小的一部分 放在了玻璃后, 我们也 把蓝鳍金枪鱼与黄鳍金枪鱼进行展出。
60.When the veil of bubbles lifts every morning, we can actually see a community from the Pelagic ocean, one of the only places on Earth
当每天早晨保护罩升起时 我们可以看到水与远洋的交换, 世上没有几个地方能让
61.you can see giant bluefin swim by.
你看到巨大的蓝鳍从你眼前游过。
62.We can see in their beauty of form and function, their ceaseless activity.
我们可以从它们形态和作用的美中看到, 它们无尽的活力。
63.They're flying through their space, ocean space.
它们在海中自由穿梭
64.And we can bring two million people a year into contact with this fish and show them its beauty.
我们每年可以使两百万人 亲眼看到这些鱼 并向他们展示它们的美
65.Behind the scenes is a working lab at Stanford University partnered with the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
在这美景的后面是与蒙特雷湾水族馆合作的 斯坦福大学的实验室。
66.Here, for over 14 or 15 years, we've actually brought in both bluefin and yellowfin in captivity.
就在这里,十四五年以来 我们将 蓝鳍和黄鳍金枪鱼放在这里。
67.We'd been studying these fish, but first we had to learn how to husbandry them.
我们研究这些鱼 但是首先我们要学会饲养它们。
68.What do they like to eat?
它们想吃什么?

69.What is it that they're happy with?
它们喜欢什么?
70.We go in the tanks with the tuna -- we touch their naked skin -- it's pretty amazing. It feels wonderful.
我们进入有金枪鱼的水箱。我们抚摸它们裸露的皮肤。 这感觉非常好!
71.And then, better yet, we've got our own version of tuna whisperers, our own Chuck Farwell, Alex Norton, who can take a big tuna and in one motion,
然后,更好的是, 我们找到了自己的鱼语者, 我们的ChuckFarwell与 Alex Norton 他们能够将一个大金枪鱼 以一个方向
72.put it into an envelope of water, so that we can actually work with the tuna and learn the techniques it takes to not injure this fish
放入几乎正好大小的水中, 因此我们能真正的研究金枪鱼们 并且学会 不伤害那些不知海洋边界的
73.who never sees a boundary in the open sea.
鱼儿们的技术。
74.Jeff and Jason there, are scientists who are going to take a tuna and put it in the equivalent of a treadmill, a flume.
Jeff 和 Jason两位科学家 正将一个金枪鱼 放入一个相当于跑步机的人工管道里
75.And that tuna thinks it's going to Japan, but it's staying in place.
那个金枪鱼可能认为它将游往日本, 但实际上它留在了原地。
76.We're actually measuring its oxygen consumption, its energy consumption.
我们测量它对氧气的消耗 和对能量的消耗
77.We're taking this data and building better models.
我们将记录这些数据,做出更好的模型。
78.And when I see that tuna -- this is my favorite view -- I begin to wonder: how did this fish solve the longitude problem before we did?
当我看到金枪鱼时(这也是我最喜欢的景象) 我突然想知道 这些鱼是怎么在我们之前解决经度问题的?
79.So take a look at that animal.
所以仔细看了下它
80.That's the closest you'll probably ever get.

这大概是能办到的最近的观察了。
81.Now, the activities from the lab have taught us now how to go out in the open ocean.
现在,实验室里的工作 已经教会了我们如何走出去, 到大海中去继续研究。
82.So in a program called Tag-A-Giant we've actually gone from Ireland to Canada, from Corsica to Spain.
所以在一个名为 “标个大家伙” 我们真的从爱尔兰跑驶了加拿大, 从科西嘉岛到了西班牙。
83.We've fished with many nations around the world in an effort to basically put electronic computers inside giant tunas.
我们与世界上许多国家合作 致力于将 电子计算机 放到大金枪鱼内。
84.We've actually tagged 1,100 tunas.
我们已经标记了1,100头金枪鱼。
85.And I'm going to show you three clips, because I tagged 1,100 tunas.
而我现向你们展示三个短片, 因为我标记了1,100只金枪鱼。
86.It's a very hard process, but it's a ballet.
这个过程像芭蕾舞一样, 难 但是很美。
87.We bring the tuna out, we measure it.
我们取出金枪鱼, 测量它
88.A team of fishers, captains, scientists and technicians work together to keep this animal out of the ocean for about four to five minutes.
一个由渔夫,船长,科学家和技术人员组成的团队 为了能让它出海4到5分钟 工作在了一起。
89.We put water over its gills, give it oxygen.
我们让水流过它的腮,给它氧气。
90.And then with a lot of effort, after tagging, putting in the computer, making sure the stalk is sticking out so it senses the environment,
然后给它做标记 再努力吧电脑放进去。 并保证有一部分能留在外边, 使得电脑能感受外面的坏境。
91.we send this fish back into the sea.
我们将鱼放回大海

92.And when it goes, we're always happy.
当它离开时, 我们总是很开心。
93.We see a flick of the tail.
我们能看到它的尾巴摇摆
94.And from our data that gets collected, when that tag comes back, because a fisher returns it for a thousand-dollar reward, we can get tracks beneath the sea
从我们收集到的数据来看 当标签回来时 因为 渔夫将其交还给我们 能拿到1000美金的奖励, 我们就能了解一个脊椎动物
95.for up to five years now, on a backboned animal.
在水下 最多5年的路线了。
96.Now sometimes the tunas are really large, such as this fish off Nantucket.
有时候,金枪鱼真的很大 就像楠塔基特 附近的的这条
97.But that's about half the size of the biggest tuna we've ever tagged.
但是这只是 被我们标记过的最大的一半大小。
98.It takes a human effort, a team effort, to bring the fish in.
需要一个人的力气 一个团队的努力才能把它拉起来
99.In this case, what we're going to do is put a pop-up satellite archival tag on the tuna.
画面中,我们需要做的就是 将一个能自动弹起的卫星标签放在一个金枪鱼上
100.This tag rides on the tuna, senses the environment around the tuna and actually will come off the fish, detach, float to the surface
标签会固定在它上面 感知周围的环境 然后会离开这条鱼 单独漂浮在水面
101.and send back to Earth-orbiting satellites position data estimated by math on the tag, pressure data and temperature data.
并将计算出的位置 的信息传回绕地卫星 压力数据,温度数据
102.And so what we get then from the pop-up satellite tag is we get away from having to have a human interaction to recapture the tag.
所以从标签那得到信息 都能在没有人参与的 情况下完成。
103.Both the electronic tags I'm talking about are expensive.
刚刚提到的提到的两个电子标签都比较昂贵。

104.These tags have been engineered by a variety of teams in North America.
这些标签都是由许多 北美团队制造的。
105.They are some of our finest instruments, our new technology in the ocean today.
里面有我们最精密的仪器 和我们在海洋中的新科技。
106.One community in general has given more to help us than any other community.
总的来说一个组织 给以了我们比其他组织都多的帮助。
107.And that's the fisheries off the state of North Carolina.
那就是 北卡罗兰纳渔业组织。
108.There are two villages, Harris and Morehead City, every winter for over a decade, held a party called Tag-A-Giant, and together, fishers worked with us
有两个村庄,Harris 和 Morehead。 10年里的每年冬天 都会举行一个名为 “标记个大家伙”的活动 渔夫们那天会与我们合作
109.to tag 800 to 900 fish.
标记800到900 头鱼
110.In this case, we're actually going to measure the fish.
这里 我们正要去测量这个鱼
111.We're going to do something that in recent years we've started: take a mucus sample.
我们要做一些我们已经开始的事情 取一个粘液样本
112.Watch how shiny the skin is; you can see my reflection there.
看多么闪亮的皮肤, 你可你看到我的倒影。
113.And from that mucus, we can get gene profiles, we can get information on gender, checking the pop-up tag one more time, and then it's out in the ocean.
从那个粘液,我们能得到它的基因。 我们能通过基因得到一些信息。 再检查一次自动跳起标签 然后就让它回到大海了。
114.And this is my favorite.
这是我的最爱
115.With the help of my former postdoc, Gareth Lawson, this is a gorgeous picture of a single tuna.
在我前任博士后导师Gareth Lawson的帮助下 这是一条金枪鱼的美丽照片

116.This tuna is actually moving on a numerical ocean.
这条在数字海洋中游动的金枪鱼
117.The warm is the Gulf Stream, the cold up there in the Gulf of Maine.
较温暖的时 墨西哥湾流, 较冷的是在美国缅因州海湾。
118.That's where the tuna wants to go -- it wants to forage on schools of herring -- but it can't get there. It's too cold.
这是金枪鱼的活动线路,它以成群的鲱鱼为食。 但它不能到这里, 太冷了。
119.But then it warms up, and the tuna pops in, gets some fish, maybe comes back to home base, goes in again and then comes back to winter down there in North Carolina
但是当那温暖起来, 金枪鱼就窜进去,吃些鱼。 也许会回到老家。 又进去了 那边又冷了,又回到北卡罗来纳州
120.and then on to the Bahamas.
再后到了巴哈马
121.And my favorite scene, three tunas going into the Gulf of Mexico.
然后就是我最喜欢的场景, 三条金枪鱼回到了墨西哥湾。
122.Three tunas tagged.
三条标记过的金枪鱼。
123.Astronomically, we're calculating positions.
太空中, 我们计算它们位置。
124.They're coming together. That could be tuna sex -- and there it is.
它们一起过来, 可能是为了繁殖下一代。 而这个
125.That is where the tuna spawn.
就是金枪鱼产卵的地方。
126.So from data like this, we're able now to put the map up, and in this map you see thousands of positions generated by this decade and a half of tagging.
因此, 通过这些数据 我们能建立起地图 在地图中 你可以看到成千上万的位置 由这十五年的标签标记得来的数据产生。
127.And now we're showing that tunas on the western side go to the eastern side.
现在, 让我们来看西边的它们 前往东边

128.So two populations of tunas -- that is, we have a Gulf population, one that we can tag -- they go to the Gulf of Mexico, I showed you that --
所以 两个群落。 一个是我们标记的海湾群落, 它们前往墨西哥湾, 我们可以看到
129.and a second population.
而第二个群落。
130.Living amongst our tunas -- our North American tunas -- are European tunas that go back to the Med.
欧洲的金枪鱼 则游回地中海
131.On the hot spots -- the hope spots -- they're mixed populations.
在热点 两个群落重合。
132.And so what we've done with the science is we're showing the International Commission, building new models, showing them that a two-stock no-mixing model --
而我们要做的就是 向国际委员会展示 新模型, 告诉他们 原来的 两群不相关模型
133.to this day, used to reject the CITES treaty -- that model isn't the right model.
是错误的 , 不应该被用为 反对CITES中条例通过的依据。
134.This model, a model of overlap, is the way to move forward.
这是一个交叉的模型 这个才是符合事实的模型。
135.So we can then predict where management places should be.
因此我们可以预测 哪里应该安排管理。
136.Places like the Gulf of Mexico and the Mediterranean are places where the single species, the single population, can be captured.
像墨西哥湾和地中海那样的地方 是单一物种的地方 只有一种金枪鱼会被捕到
137.These become forthright in places we need to protect.
这是明显应该被保护的地方
138.The center of the Atlantic where the mixing is, I could imagine a policy that lets Canada and America fish, because they manage their fisheries well,
在大西洋的中心,种群混合的地方 可以出台允许加拿大和美国捕鱼的政策, 因为他们能合理开展渔业。
139.they're doing a good job.
它们干的很好
140.But in the international realm, where fishing and overfishing has really gone wild, these are the places that we have to make hope spots in.

但是在过渡捕鱼盛行的 国际海领域 我们还需努力
141.That's the size they have to be to protect the bluefin tuna.
这样 才有可能能保护蓝鳍金枪鱼
142.Now in a second project called Tagging of Pacific Pelagics, we took on the planet as a team, those of us in the Census of Marine Life.
现在让我们来看第二个计划 名为“标记太平洋” 作为“海洋普查项目”的成员 我们组成了一个团队
143.And, funded primarily through Sloan Foundation and others, we were able to actually go in, in our project -- we're one of 17 field programs
并在如斯隆基金会等等的帮助下 我们才得以进行我们的项目 我们是17个这个领域中一个项目
144.and begin to take on tagging large numbers of predators, not just tunas.
现准备开始标记大量的食肉鱼。 不再单单是金枪鱼。
145.So what we've done is actually gone up to tag salmon shark in Alaska, met salmon shark on their home territory, followed them catching salmon
我们已经 在阿拉斯加州标记了一头鲑鲨 在它的出生地标记了它, 并跟随它们捕食鲑鱼
146.and then went in and figured out that, if we take a salmon and put it on a line, we can actually take up a salmon shark -- This is the cousin of the white shark --
当我们 将一条鲑鱼放在鲨鱼的前面 我们能够将鲨鱼网住 这个鲨鱼是白鲨的表亲。
147.and very carefully -- note, I say "very carefully," -- we can actually keep it calm, put a hose in its mouth, keep it off the deck and then tag it with a satellite tag.
我们很小心的 注意我说的是 “很小心” 我们能使它保持镇定。 在它嘴里放个管子,并保持它不接触甲板 并用卫星标签标记它
148.That satellite tag will now have your shark phone home and send in a message.
现在,卫星就能对它定位了 并能把信息传到卫星。
149.And that shark leaping there, if you look carefully, has an antenna.
这条鲨鱼在水中跳跃, 如果你看的仔细些,能看到它的触角。

150.It's a free swimming shark with a satellite tag jumping after salmon, sending home its data.
这是一个有着标签的自由游动的鲨鱼 正追着鲑鱼。 而天线正将数据传来。
151.Salmon sharks aren't the only sharks we tag.
我们不是只标记这一种鲨鱼。
152.But there goes salmon sharks with this meter-level resolution on an ocean of temperature -- warm colors are warmer.
但这只显示它精确到米的路线图 较暖的颜色表示海洋的温度较高。
153.Salmon sharks go down to the tropics to pup and come into Monterey.
它们向下 到热带地区产仔 再到蒙特雷。
154.Now right next door in Monterey and up at the Farallones are a white shark team led by Scott Anderson -- there -- and Sal Jorgensen.
现在 在蒙特雷附近, Farallones的上面 有一只由Scott Anderson和Sal Jorgensen领导的 研究白鲨的队伍。
155.They can throw out a target -- it's a carpet shaped like a seal -- and in will come a white shark, a curious critter that will come right up to our 16-ft. boat.
他们扔出一个诱饵 一个形似海豹的毛毯 不一会,一个好奇的白鲨就会游来 不久他就会被抓到我们16英尺长的船上。
156.It's a several thousand-pound animal.
这是个几千磅重的动物。
157.And we'll wind in the target.
我们会在诱饵里吹起
158.And we'll place an acoustic tag that says, "OMSHARK 10165,"
我们会放置一个听觉标签 会表示"OMSHARK 10165,"
159.or something like that, acoustically with a ping.
或者其它差不多的 以砰砰声的。
160.And then we'll put on a satellite tag that will give us the long-distance journeys with the light-based geolocation algorithms solved on the computer that's on the fish.
然后我们会放置卫星标签 标签会发给我们一个 鲨鱼的长期路线。 这路线是由标签中的电脑记录光的信息并以地理算法得出的
161.So in this case, Sal's looking at two tags there, and there they are: the white sharks of California going off to the white shark cafe and coming back.

所以,Sal的结果中能看到两种标签的记录。 这是加利福尼亚的白鲨 前往白鲨聚集地然后回来
162.We also tag makos with our NOAA colleagues, blue sharks.
我们NOAA的同事标记灰鲭鲨 和蓝鲸。
163.And now, together, what we can see on this ocean of color that's temperature, we can see ten-day worms of makos and salmon sharks.
现在我们能看到的 颜色为海洋中的温度变化, 我们能看到灰鲭鲨和鲑鲨以十天为以单位的移动图
164.We have white sharks and blue sharks.
我们第一次观察到了白鲨和蓝鲨
165.For the first time, an ecoscape as large as ocean-scale, showing where the sharks go.
的信息, 一个全海洋尺度的观察 告诉了我们鲨鱼去哪
166.The tuna team from TOPP has done the unthinkable: three teams tagged 1,700 tunas, bluefin, yellowfin and albacore all at the same time --
金枪鱼方面的TOPP组织已经完成了 由三个队伍标记了1,700头金枪鱼的难以想象的任务。 蓝鳍,黄鳍,长鳍金枪鱼 都在同时
167.carefully rehearsed tagging programs in which we go out, pick up juvenile tunas, put in the tags that actually have the sensors, stick out the tuna
仔细地操练着标记项目 我们选一些年轻的金枪鱼, 将有感应器的标签放进 再拿出
168.and then let them go.
并放金枪鱼走
169.They get returned, and when they get returned, here on a NASA numerical ocean you can see bluefin in blue go across their corridor,
当它们往回走, 你可以在NASA数字海洋中看到它们的路线 你可以看到蓝鳍金枪鱼以蓝色表示 穿过狭长地带
170.returning to the Western Pacific.
回到大西洋。
171.Our team from UCSC has tagged elephant seals with tags that are glued on their heads, that come off when they slough.
UCSC组织负责标记海象 标签会粘在它们头上, 当它们蜕皮时随皮脱落。

172.These elephant seals cover half an ocean, take data down to 1,800 feet -- amazing data.
海象在海洋的一半以上地方都能看到, 在水下1,800英尺的地方搜集数据 惊人的数据
173.And then there's Scott Shaffer and our shearwaters wearing tuna tags, light-based tags, that now are going to take you from New Zealand to Monterey and back,
这是Scott Shaffer和一个海鸥 海鸥上带着光能标签 它们将从新西兰飞往蒙特雷并飞回
174.journeys of 35,000 nautical miles we had never seen before.
总共有35,000海里 利用光能地理标签
175.But now with light-based geolocation tags that are very small, we can actually see these journeys.
我们第一成功 了解了它们飞行的全过程。
176.Same thing with Laysan albatross who travel an entire ocean on a trip sometimes, up to the same zone the tunas use.
与Laysan岛的信天翁一样 将穿越整个大洋。 有时 它们的飞行路线会与金枪鱼重合
177.You can see why they might be caught.
你就知道为什么它们也可能被捕。
178.Then there's George Schillinger and our leatherback team out of Playa Grande tagging leatherbacks that go right past where we are.
现在看到的是 George Schillinger和来自Playa Grande的棱皮龟小组的队员。 正在给正穿过它们所在区域 的棱皮龟作标记。
179.And Scott Benson's team that showed that leatherbacks go from Indonesia all the way to Monterey.
这是Scott Benson带队的小组的数据 显示棱皮龟正从印度尼西亚 前往蒙特雷
180.So what we can see on this moving ocean is we can finally see where the predators are.
我们能从这个移动的海洋中看到 捕食者在哪里。
181.We can actually see how they're using ecospaces as large as an ocean.
我们能了解 整个海洋中的整个生态圈。
182.And from this information, we can begin to map the hope spots.
从这些信息, 我们能开始制作希望点的地图
183.So this is just three years of data right here -- and there's a decade of this data.
这里看到的只是3年里的数据 而这样的数据有10年记录。

184.We see the pulse and the seasonal activities that these animals are going on.
我们能感受到这些动物的 状态和季节性活动。
185.So what we're able to do with this information is boil it down to hot spots, 4,000 deployments, a huge herculean task, 2,000 tags in an area, shown here for the first time,
我们能做的,就是利用这些数据 提炼出 热点, 4000个部署点 一个艰巨的任务 一个地方2000个标签 这一切的综合 第一次告诉了我们
186.off the California coast, that appears to be a gathering place.
在加利福尼亚海岸附近 有一个聚集地
187.And then for sort of an encore from these animals, they're helping us.
然后, 就像它们给我们的加演一样 它们带上设备
188.They're carrying instruments that are actually taking data down to 2,000 meters.
帮助我们 在2000米下的水中搜集数据
189.They're taking information from our planet at very critical places like Antarctica and the Poles.
在整个地球搜集 在关键的地方如 南极,北极。
190.Those are seals from many countries being released who are sampling underneath the ice sheets and giving us temperature data of oceanographic quality
许多国家的海狮 被放生 它们正在冰川的地下 给我们传送两极的温度和海洋质量
191.on both poles.
等数据。
192.This data, when visualized, is captivating to watch.
这个数据,当被可视化后,非常有吸引力。
193.We still haven't figured out best how to visualize the data.
我们仍没能想出到底如何才能对这些数据进行最佳的可视化。
194.And then, as these animals swim and give us the information that's important to climate issues, we also think it's critical to get this information to the public,
而当这些动物游动 并给我们信息时, 这些信息对于气候问题是非常重要的, 我们还认为 将这些信息公布给大众
195.to engage the public with this kind of data.

来使大众也参与进来是很重要的。
196.We did this with the Great Turtle Race -- tagged turtles, brought in four million hits.
我们对于大海龟就是这么做的 标记海龟, 这带来了4百万个点击。
197.And now with Google's Oceans, we can actually put a white shark in that ocean.
现在 在 谷歌海洋(Google‘Oeans) 我们能将白鲨放在一个大洋中,
198.And when we do and it swims, we see this magnificent bathymetry that the shark knows is there on its path as it goes from California to Hawaii.
他就会在里面游动 我们可以知道 鲨鱼在它们从加利福尼亚到夏威夷 这段路中得到的一切信息。
199.But maybe Mission Blue can fill in that ocean that we can't see.
但是可能 Mission Blue组织 能将我们看不到的地方也补上
200.We've got the capacity, NASA has the ocean.
我们有这样的能力, NASA已经有了数字海洋。
201.We just need to put it together.
我们只需要将它们整合起来。
202.So in conclusion, we know where Yellowstone is for North America; it's off our coast.
所以, 总的来说 我们知道黄石公园在北美的哪: 在海岸边
203.We have the technology that's shown us where it is.
我们有技术了解它在哪
204.What we need to think about perhaps for Mission Blue is increasing the biologging capacity.
我们需要思考的是如何增加 Misson Blue记录生态信息的能力。
205.How is it that we can actually take this type of activity elsewhere?
我们怎样才能 在别的地方也做这些工作呢?
206.And then finally -- to basically get the message home -- maybe use live links from animals such as blue whales and white sharks.
最终能达到在家就能得到信息, 可以利用例如 来自蓝鲸白鲨的链接
207.Make killer apps, if you will.

如果你愿意的话,制作杀戮软件,
208.A lot of people are excited when sharks actually went under the Golden Gate Bridge.
大部分的人当 看到鲨鱼在金门大桥下时会非常激动。
209.Let's connect the public to this activity right on their iPhone.
就用大家的iPhone 将大家连接到这项活动吧。
210.That way we do away with a few internet myths.
这是一些网上的这类图片。
211.So we can save the bluefin tuna.
所以, 我们能够救蓝鳍金枪鱼
212.We can save the white shark.
我们能够救白鲨
213.We have the science and technology.
我们有科技。
214.Hope is here. Yes we can.
是的, 我们能。
215.We need just to apply this capacity further in the oceans.
我们只需要将我们的技术 应用到更广阔的海洋。
216.Thank you.
谢谢/<code>

结束语

如果您需要本期音频相关的学习资料,可以留言或私信回复关键字:"20200322T08",系统会自动回复您下载地址(内容包括:视频+音频+文稿),资料仅供个人学习使用。


分享到:


相關文章: