《小屁孩日记》双语阅笔记 9

小屁孩日记》是一个美国中学生的日记,受孩子的影响,我也是《小屁孩日记》的成人铁粉啦。这套书故事情节富于想象力,幽默,虽然是一本儿童读物,但地道的英语表达是学习口语的好素材,读着英文,看着笑话,快乐阅读,快乐学习,启程吧!

说实话,我每次都是看完笑完,好像这就是自家孩子的真实写照,也是我们每个人小时候的写照吧。

I made Rowley use the bench press first, mostly because I wanted to see if the broomstick was going to hold up.

我让罗利先来举, 主要是因为我想先观望一下,看看这个扫帚柄是否经得起考验

笔记:

bench press: 杠铃卧推。

hold up: 这里的意思是"支撑某物",这句话直译就是"我想看看扫帚能不能撑得住。"

这个词组是一个很活的词组,

hold sb/sth up: 耽搁某人;推迟某事(一般用被动语态)

Sorry I'm late. I was held up at work.

对不起我来晚了,我给工作耽搁了。

如果把这个词组的宾语的位置放到后面,意思就完全不同了

hold up sth:抢劫

A thief ran off with hundreds of pounds yesterday after holding up a petrol station.

一名盗贼昨天持械抢劫了一家加油站后带着几百英镑跑了。

hold sb/sth up as: 将…作为榜样。

He had always been held up as an example to the younger one.

他总是被树为弟弟妹妹学习的榜样。

He did about five reps, and he was ready to quit, but I wouldn't let him. That's what a good training partner is for, to push you beyond your limits.

他才举了五下就要撒手不干了,这我可不能答应。有个练习搭档就是好,可以时刻鞭策你,好让你超越极限

笔记:

reps: repetition的缩写,重复动作的次数。

Do fifteen reps of each exercise.

每个动作做15次。

但是如果rep缩写的第一个字母是大写的,意思又不一样了,Rep表示"(美国)众议议员,用于名字前",如:Rep.Bud Shuster: 众议议员巴德·舒斯特

Bbe for: 给,对(表示对象或用途)

These chairs are for the office.

这些椅子是这间办公室的。

The gift is for you.

这件礼物是送给你的。

push you beyond your limits:字面意思"推动你超越你的极限"

I knew Rowley wasn't going to be as serious about weight lifting as I was, so I decided to try out and experiment to test his dedication.

我就知道罗利对待举重的态度不够端正,不像我这么投入,所以我决定做个实验,看看他到底有多专注。

In the middle of Rowley's set, I went and got this phony nose and mustache Rodrick has in his junk drawer.

趁罗利一套卧推动作还没举完,我跑进去从罗德里克垃圾堆成山的抽屉里翻出了一个假鼻子和一撮小胡子。

And right when Rowley had the barbell in the "down" position, I leaned over and looked at him.

当罗利放下杠铃正准备再举起来的时候,我俯下身去朝他看了一眼。

Sure enough, Rowley totally lost his concentration. He couldn't even get the barbell off his chest. I thought about helping him out, but then I realized that if Rowley didn't get serious about working out, he was never going to get to my level.

毫无疑问,罗利已经完全魂飞魄散了。他甚至都没力气把杠铃从胸口再托起来。我本想去帮帮他的,不过我认为,如果不让罗利自己意识到问题的严重,他是永远无法赶上我的思想觉悟的。

《小屁孩日记》双语阅笔记 9

I eventually had to rescue him, because he started biting the milk jug to let the sand leak out.

不过我最后还是的出手搭救了,因为他居然出此下策:想把牛奶罐子咬破好让沙子漏出来。

After Rowley got off the bench press, it was time for my set. But Rowley said he didn't feel like working out anymore, and he went home.

罗利从卧推架上下来后,就到我来举了。不过罗利说他感觉不太舒服待不下去,就匆匆回家了。

You know, I figured he'd pull something like that. But I guess you can't expect everyone to have the same kind of dedication as you.

你看嘛,我就知道他这人准会让事情泡汤。你实在不能指望别人能跟你有同样程度的热忱。

Wednesday

Today in Geography we had a quiz, and I have to say, I've been looking forward to this one for a long time.

今天地理课上小测验,实话说,我等这天等了好久。

quiz, 一般是指智力小测验。

The quiz was on state capitals, and I sit in the back of the room, right next to this giant map of the United States. All the capitals are written in big red print, so I knew I had this one in the bag.

测验的内容是写美国各州州政府所在地的名称,我坐在课室后面,旁边刚好就有一张巨幅美国地图,而且所有州政府的地名都是用红色印的,所以我觉得这次测验基本就可以

高枕无忧了。

笔记:

in the bag: 这里可不是"在袋子里",是"十拿九稳,稳操胜券"的意思。

Don't worry. The test is in the bag.

别担心,这次考试一定能过。

The governor's advisors believe the election is in the bag.

州长的顾问认为这次选举已经胜券在握。

But right before the test got started, Patty Farrell piped up from the front of the room.

Patty told Mr.Ira that he should cover up the United States map before we got started.

So thanks to Patty, I ended up flunking the quiz. And I will definitely be looking for a way to pay her back for that one.

正当考试快要开始的那一刻,坐在教室前面的芭迪·法雷尔突然大呼小叫。芭迪告诉艾拉老师,说在小测验之前应该先把美国地图给遮起来。多亏了芭迪的高风亮节,我的这次测验挂掉了。有朝一日,我一定要报这一箭之仇

笔记:

end up: 最终,结果,到头来

If you don't know what you want, you might end up getting something you don't want.

如果你不知道自己想要什么,到头来你得到的可能是自己不想要的。

Every time they went dancing they ended up in a bad mood.

每次他们去跳舞,结果都是不欢而散。

flunk: 未通过(考试等)

pay sb back: 向…报复;归还,偿还

Some day I'll pay you back for this.

总有一天我会报仇的。

I'll pay you back on Friday.

我星期五还你钱。

We're paying back the loan over 15 years.

我们要在15年内偿还贷款。

这句里的over不是"比…多,超出(某一数目)"的意思,而是"在…期间"。


《小屁孩日记》双语阅笔记 9


分享到:


相關文章: