Keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer.


Keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer.

Edie (to workmen as they leave): Thanks.

Lynette: Edie, hi.

Edie: Hi.

Lynette: Wow, things are really coming along.

一切進展得不錯啊。

Edie: Yeah, slowly and expensively.

又慢又貴。

Lynette: It'll be worth it. You're doing an amazing job.

這一切都是值得的。你做得很棒。

Lynette:So look, you're basically a predator and I need your advice.

所以,你天生就是個掠奪者我需要你的建議。

predator ['prɛdətɚ] n.食肉動物;掠奪者;(動物的)捕食性天敵

Lynette: And I know Tom loves me, but I don't trust this woman. I think there's an agenda there. I don't know, maybe I'm being paranoid.

我知道湯姆愛我,但我不信任這個女的。我覺得這背後一定暗藏詭計我也不知道,也許是我想多了

agenda [ə'dʒɛndə]

n. 議事日程;待議諸事項一覽表;日常工作事項;議程

agenda 議事日程怎麼就成詭計了呢?

女主認為丈夫的前女友準備搶走他老公,認為對方把搶別人老公的一切都排上日程了(正常的事情叫日程安排,圖謀不軌可不就是陰謀詭計了嘛),所以用意譯:這背後一定有陰謀詭計。

美國有一部影片:絕命陷阱 Hidden Agenda(背後隱藏的意圖)

paranoid ['pærənɔɪd]

n. (=paranoiac)患妄想狂者

adj. 類似妄想狂的;多疑的

Edie: No, no. You did the right thing by coming to me. There are two ways to approach this. Well, first I have to ask, what kind of shape is this woman in?

不,你來找我是對的。解決這種問題通常由兩種方法。首先我得問一下,這女的長得怎麼樣?

shape n. 形狀;形式;身材;定形

Lynette: Fantastic shape. She's gorgeous.

非常完美,她可是個尤物(大美人)

Edie: Okay, now there's really only one way to approach this. You're going to have to act fast.

好,那就只剩下一個辦法啦。你得儘快行動。

Lynette: I'm listening.

請繼續說。

Edie: Well, it's really pretty simple. When I feel threatened by a woman, I pull her in. I make her my best friend.

簡單,當我感到受到威脅時,我拉攏她,把她當作我最要好的朋友。

pull in:吸引,拉攏(人群、觀眾或選民)

Lynette: I thought you said you didn't have any female friends?

我記得你曾經說過你沒有任何女性朋友。

Edie: Well, I don't. And I've never felt threatened by another woman either. The point is, keep your friends close-

我沒有,可我從未受到別的女性的威脅。但重點是,知己知彼

Lynette:Keep your enemies closer.

百戰不殆。

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.(idom)-知己知彼,百戰不殆。

(字面是:對自己的朋友要接近了解,而對敵人要更加接近深入瞭解。)

在the Free Dictionary by Farlex上是這麼解釋:

Be very aware of your enemies' behavior in order to detect and avoid any malicious actions.

detect [dɪ'tɛkt] vt. 察覺;發現;探測 malicious adj. 惡意的;惡毒的;蓄意的;懷恨的

A: "Why were you talking to Katie? I thought you hated her."

你怎麼會和凱蒂說話?我以為你很討厭她呢。

B: "I'm trying to see if she has any dirt on me for the student council debate. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, right?"

我只是想了解在學生會會上她有沒有說我壞話。知己知彼,百戰不殆嘛!


Lynette: Tom, we're having a dinner party. I'm thinking of inviting Annabel

湯姆我們要辦個晚宴,邀請安娜貝爾。


分享到:


相關文章: