停課不停學:人教版高中英語必修3Unit3課文+課文翻譯+跟讀音頻

B3U3Reading.mp34:32

來自英語快樂嗑English

英漢對照課文文本

THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE

百萬英鎊

Act I, Scene 3

第一幕,第3場


NARRATOR: It is the summer of 1903. Two old and wealthy brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet. Oliver believes that with a million pound bank note a man could survive a month in London. His brother Roderick doubts it. At this moment, they see a penniless young man wandering on the pavement outside their house. It is Henry Adams, an American businessman, who is lost in London and does not know what he should do.

旁白:1903年的夏天。一對年老又富有的兄弟,羅德里克和奧利弗,打了一個賭。奧利弗認為,一個人靠一張百萬英鎊的鈔票在倫敦能活一個月。他的兄弟羅德里克對此表示懷疑。這時,他們看見一個身無分文的年輕人在房子外面的人行道上游蕩。他叫亨利.亞當斯,一個美國商人,在倫敦迷了路,不知道該怎麼辦。


RODERICK: Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?

羅德里克:年輕人,請進來一會兒,好嗎?


HENRY: Who? Me, sir?

亨 利:先生,你叫誰來呀?是叫我嗎?


RODERICK: Yes, you.

羅德里克:是的,就是你。


OLIVER: Through the front door on your left.

奧利弗:從你左側的前門進來。


HENRY: (A servant opens a door) Thanks.

亨 利:(僕人給他打開門)謝謝。


SERVANT: Good morning, sir. Would you please come in? Permit me to lead the way, sir.

僕 人:早上好,先生,請進。先生,請讓我來帶路吧。


OLIVER: (Henry enters) Thank you, James. That will be all.

奧利弗:(亨利走進來)謝謝你,詹姆斯,沒你的事了。


RODERICK: How do you do, Mr... er ...?

羅德里克:你好,先生,你貴姓?


HENRY: Adams. Henry Adams.

亨 利:亞當斯,亨利 · 亞當斯。


OLIVER: Come and sit down, Mr Adams.

奧利弗:來,請坐,亞當斯先生。


HENRY: Thank you.

亨 利:謝謝。


RODERICK: You're an American?

羅德里克:你是美國人?


HENRY: That's right, from San Francisco.

亨 利:是的,從舊金山來。


RODERICK: How well do you know London?

羅德里克:你對倫敦熟悉嗎?


HENRY: Not at all, it's my first trip here.

亨 利:一點兒也不熟,這是我第一次來倫敦。


RODERICK: I wonder, Mr Adams, if you'd mind us asking a few questions.

羅德里克:亞當斯先生,不知你是否介意我們問幾個問題?


HENRY: Not at all. Go right ahead.

亨 利:不介意,請問吧。


RODERICK: May we ask what you're doing in this country and what your plans are?

羅德里克:可不可以問問,你在這個國家乾點兒什麼?你的計劃又是什麼呢?


HENRY: Well, I can't say that I have any plans. I'm hoping to find work. As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.

亨 利:嗯,談不上有什麼計劃,我希望能找到工作。事實上,我在英國上岸是偶然的。


OLIVER: How is that possible?

奧利弗:這怎麼可能呢?


HENRY: Well, you see, back home I had my own boat. About a month ago, I was sailing out of the bay ... (his eyes stare at what is left of the brother's dinner on table)

亨 利:嗯,你看,在美國的時候,我有我自己的船。大約一個月前,我開船駛出海灣……(他的眼睛盯著兄弟倆留在餐桌上的殘羹剩菜上)。


OLIVER: Well, go on.

羅德里克:往下說呀。


HENRY: Oh, yes. Well, towards nightfall I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind. It was all my fault. I didn't know whether I could survive until morning. The next morning I'd just about given myself up for lost when I was spotted by a ship.

亨 利:哦,好的。嗯,傍晚時分我發現我被一陣大風颳到海上去了。這都是我的錯。我不知道是否能活到早晨。第二天早上,我正感到絕望的時候,一艘海船發現了我。


OLIVER: And it was the ship that brought you to England.

羅德里克:正是那艘船把你帶到了英國。


HENRY: Yes. The fact is that I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand, which accounts for my appearance. I went to the American embassy to seek help, but ... (The brothers smile at each other.)

亨 利:是的。事實上我靠做義工來頂替船費。這就是我為什麼衣冠不整的原因了。我上美國大使館求助,但是……(兄弟倆相顧而笑)。


RODERICK: Well, you mustn't worry about that. It's an advantage.

羅德里克:嗯,這一點你倒不必擔心,這還是優點呢。


HENRY: I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, sir.

亨 利:

對不起,先生,你的話我沒有聽懂。


RODERICK: Tell us, Mr Adams, what sort of work did you do in America?

奧利弗:亞當斯先生,請你告訴我們,你在美國幹哪個行當?


HENRY: I worked for a mining company. Could you offer me some kind of work here?

亨 利:我在一家礦業公司工作。你們能不能給我提供一份工作呢?


RODERICK: Patience, Mr Adams. If you don't mind, may I ask you how much money you have?

羅德里克:耐心點兒,亞當斯先生,如果你不介意,我能不能問問,你手頭兒有多少錢?


HENRY: Well, to be honest, I have none.

亨 利:嗯,老實說,我一分錢都沒有了。


OLIVER: (happily) What luck! Brother, what luck! (claps his hands together)

奧利弗:(高興地)老兄,真走運!真有運氣!(鼓起掌來)


HENRY: Well, it may seem lucky to you but not to me! On the contrary, in fact. If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don't think it's very funny. (Henry stands up to leave) Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll be on my way.

亨 利:嗯,這對你們來說可能是運氣,但對我來說可不是。事實上,正好相反。如果你們認為這是一個笑話,我可不覺得很好笑。(亨利起身準備走)好了,請原諒,我想我該上路了。


RODERICK: Please don't go, Mr Adams. You mustn't think we don't care about you. Oliver, give him the letter.

羅德里克:

亞當斯先生,請別走。你千萬不要以為我們不在意你的感受。奧利弗,把信給他。


OLIVER: Yes, the letter. (gets it from a desk and gives it to Henry like a gift) The letter.

奧利弗:是,那封信。(從桌上把信拿起來,像送禮品一樣遞給亨利)給你信。


HENRY: (taking it carefully) For me?

亨 利:(小心翼翼地接過信)是給我嗎?


RODERICK: For you. (Henry starts to open it) Oh, no, you mustn't open it. Not yet. You can't open it until two o'clock.

羅德里克:是給你的。(亨利要拆信)啊,別拆,你不要拆,現在不是時候,到兩點鐘你才能打開。


HENRY: Oh, this is silly.

亨 利:噢,這真可笑。


RODERICK: Not silly. There's money in it. (calls to the servant) James?

羅德里克:這不可笑,這裡邊有錢呢。(叫僕人)詹姆斯?


HENRY: Oh, no. I don't want your charity. I just want an honest job.

亨 利:噢,不,我不需要你們的施捨,我只要一份老老實實的工作。


RODERICK: We know you're hard-working. That's why we've given you the letter. James, show Mr Adams out.

羅德里克:我們知道你工作是很賣力的,這正是我們給你這封信的原因。詹姆斯,請送亞當斯先生出去。


OLIVER: Good luck, Mr Adams.

奧利弗:祝你好運,亞當斯先生。


HENRY: Well, why don't you explain what this is all about?

亨 利:嗯,怎麼不給我講講,這究竟是什麼回事呢?


RODERICK: You'll soon know. (looks at the clock) In exactly an hour and a half.

羅德里克:你很快就會明白的,(看看鐘)一個半小時以後。


SERVANT: This way, sir.

僕 人:請這邊走,先生。


RODERICK: Mr Adams, not until 2 o'clock. Promise?

羅德里克:亞當斯先生,兩點鐘以前不要拆信,答應嗎?


HENRY: Promise. Goodbye.

亨 利:答應,謝謝。再見!


(以上內容來源於人民教育出版社,版權歸人民教育出版社所有。由本號進行整理分享,旨在方便師生使用,侵聯刪。)


分享到:


相關文章: