- ©RocEnglish原創文章
在英語學習的過程中有沒有遇到過一種表達並不是其字面意思的情況?其實這種情況是非常普遍的,本期內容我們就來學習其中一個。
Sleep late
起得晚
Sleep late從字面意思來理解似乎應該是“睡得晚”的意思,但它的真實意思其實是“起得晚”,可以理解為“睡到很晚才起”- I usually sleep late on weekends.
我通常會在週末睡懶覺。
- I never sleep late, early bird catches the worms.
我從不睡懶覺,因為早起的鳥兒有蟲吃。
- We should make good use of the time in the morning, so don't sleep late!
我們應該好好利用早上的時間,所以不要睡懶覺。
Get up late
起床晚了
- I got up late this morning, so I missed the train.
我起床晚了,所以我錯過了火車。
- My brother got up very late, and he said he couldn't fall asleep last night.
我哥哥起床很晚,他說他昨晚睡不著。
Sleep in
睡懶覺
- Yesterday, I slept in, and I didn't go to the yoga class.
昨天我睡懶覺了,我也沒去參加瑜伽課。
- I think sleeping in is a fantastic thing in the raining day.
我覺得在下雨天睡懶覺太美妙了。
Oversleep
睡過頭
- I wrote the report until the early hours, so I overslept this morning.
我寫報告一直到後半夜,所以今天早上我睡過了頭。
對話
A: Why are you late again?
你怎麼又遲到了?
B: I'm so sorry. I just overslept.
不好意思,我睡過頭了。
A: It's not a good excuse.
這可不是一個好的藉口。
與“睡懶覺、起得晚、睡過頭”對應的“熬夜”又是如何表達呢?
Stay up (late)
熬夜
- I am a night person, so I usually stay up late and write stories about ghosts.
我是一個夜貓子,我通常會熬夜寫作關於鬼魂的故事。
- The primitives had to stay up preventing the animals from attacking.
原始人必須保持清醒以防止動物的襲擊。
Go to bed late
上床睡覺很晚
- The boys went to bed very late, they had to finish their homework.
這些男孩子們上床睡覺很晚,因為他們得完成作業。
- Going to bed late may cause many health problems.
晚睡會導致很多健康問題
關注公眾號Roc_English獲取更多有趣味有價值的英語內容
學好英語必讀文章
閱讀更多 RocEnglish 的文章