《乱世佳人》《教父》译者陈良廷先生辞世,享年91岁

2020年4月23日,中国翻译界又少了一个温厚儒雅、低调淡泊,却成绩斐然的大家——陈良廷。


《乱世佳人》《教父》译者陈良廷先生辞世,享年91岁

编辑搜图


请点击输入图片描述


陈良廷、刘文澜夫妇,二人均为著名翻译家


他的名字,与一长串脍炙人口的英美现当代文学翻译作品联系在一起:《乱世佳人》《爱伦·坡短篇小说集》《海明威短篇小说全集》《热铁皮屋顶上的猫》《纳尼亚传奇》《教父》《马耳他黑鹰》……影响了几代中国读者。


《乱世佳人》《教父》译者陈良廷先生辞世,享年91岁

编辑搜图


请点击输入图片描述


《乱世佳人》《教父》译者陈良廷先生辞世,享年91岁

编辑搜图


请点击输入图片描述


《乱世佳人》《教父》译者陈良廷先生辞世,享年91岁

编辑搜图


请点击输入图片描述


《乱世佳人》《教父》译者陈良廷先生辞世,享年91岁

编辑搜图


请点击输入图片描述


好在,文字比生命更长久。今天特别推送陈良廷先生翻译的海明威的一个著名短篇——《简单的调查》,以此悼念中国资深翻译家陈良廷先生。


A Simple Enquiry

简单的调查


[美]海明威 著 陈良廷 译


Outside, the snow was higher than the window. The sunlight came in through the window and shone on a map on the pineboard wall of the hut. The sun was high and the light came in over the top of the snow. A trench had been cut along the open side of the hut, and each clear day the sun, shining on the wall, reflected heat against the snow and widened the trench. It was late March. The major sat at a table against the wall. His adjutant sat at another table.

屋外,雪堆高于窗户。阳光透过窗户,照在小屋松木板墙上的地图上面。太阳高高的,亮光从雪堆顶上照进屋来。沿着小屋空旷的一边挖了一条战壕,每当晴天,太阳照在墙上,热气反射在雪堆上,战壕拓得更宽了。已是三月下旬。少校坐在靠墙一张桌旁。他的副官坐在另一张桌旁。


Around the major’s eyes were two white circles where his snow-glasses had protected his face from the sun on the snow. The rest of his face had been burned and then tanned and then burned through the tan. His nose was swollen and there were edges of loose skin where blisters had been. While he worked at the papers he put the fingers of his left hand into a saucer of oil and then spread the oil over his face, touching it very gently with the tips of his fingers. He was very careful to drain his fingers on the edge of the saucer so there was only a film of oil on them, and after he had stroked his forehead and his cheeks, he stroked his nose very delicately between his fingers. When he had finished he stood up, took the saucer of oil and went into the small room of the hut where he slept. “I’m going to take a little sleep,” he said to the adjutant. In that army an adjutant is not a commissioned officer. “You will finish up.”

少校双眼周围有两个白圈,那是戴了雪地眼镜,使脸上这部位才没受到雪地阳光的损伤。脸上其他部位都晒伤了,晒黑了,然后由于晒黑而晒伤了。他的鼻子也肿了,长过水疱的地方露出脱落的表皮。他处理文件的时候,一边伸出左手指头在油盏里蘸着,然后把油抹遍脸部,用指尖非常轻柔地摩着。他非常仔细地在油盏边把手指沥干,所以手指上只有薄薄一层油,他摩了前额和两颊,又非常细致地以指缝摩鼻子。摩完了,他就站起身,拿了油盏,走进他睡觉的小房间里去。“我要睡一会儿,”他对副官说。在那支部队里,副官不是委任的军官。“你把这办完。”


“Yes, signor maggiore,” the adjutant answered. He leaned back in his chair and yawned. He took a paper-covered book out of the pocket of his coat and opened it; then laid it down on the table and lit his pipe. He leaned forward on the table to read and puffed at his pipe. Then he closed the book and put it back in his pocket. He had too much paper-work to get through. He could not enjoy reading until it was done. Outside, the sun went behind a mountain and there was no more light on the wall of the hut. A soldier came in and put some pine branches, chopped into irregular lengths, into the stove. “Be soft, Pinin,” the adjutant said to him. “The major is sleeping.”

“是,少校大人,”副官答道。他往椅背一靠,打个呵欠。他从衣袋里掏出一本平装本书,打开来,放在桌上,点上烟斗。他趴在桌上看书,抽着烟。接着他合上书,把书放回衣袋里。他的案头工作太多了,办也办不完。他要办完才能看书。屋外,太阳落到山背后了,屋子墙上没有亮光了。一个士兵进来,把砍得长短不一的松枝放进炉里。“轻点儿,皮宁,”副官跟他说。“少校在睡觉。”(原文是意大利语)


Pinin was the major’s orderly. He was a dark-faced boy, and he fixed the stove, putting the pine wood in carefully, shut the door, and went into the back of the hut again. The adjutant went on with his papers.

皮宁是少校的勤务兵,是个黑脸小子,他仔细地把松柴放进炉里,弄弄好,关上门,又走到后屋去了。副官继续忙他的文件。


“Tonani,” the major called.

“托纳尼,”少校叫道。


“Signor maggiore?”

“少校大人?”


“Send Pinin in to me.”

“叫皮宁来见我。”


“Pinin!” the adjutant called. Pinin came into the room. “The major wants you,” the adjutant said.

“皮宁!”副官叫道。皮宁进屋。“少校要找你,”副官说。


Pinin walked across the main room of the hut toward the major’s door. He knocked on the halfopened door. “Signor maggiore?”

皮宁走过小屋正房,朝少校的房门走去。他在半开半掩的门上敲敲。“少校大人?”


“Come in,” the adjutant heard the major say, “and shut the door.”

“进来,”副官听见少校说,“关上门。”


Inside the room the major lay on his bunk. Pinin stood beside the bunk. The major lay with his head on the rucksack that he had stuffed with spare clothing to make a pillow. His long, burned, oiled face looked at Pinin. His hands lay on the blankets.

少校在房里躺在铺上。皮宁站在铺旁。少校的脑袋枕在帆布背包上,背包里塞满替换衣服权充枕头使用。那张晒伤了、涂着油的长脸看着皮宁。两手搁在毯子上。


“You are nineteen?” he asked.

“你十九岁了?”他问。


“Yes, signor maggiore.”

“是的,少校大人。”


“You have ever been in love?”

“你有没有恋爱过?”


“How do you mean, signor maggiore?”

“你这话是什么意思,少校大人?”


“In love—with a girl?”

“跟个姑娘——谈恋爱?”


“I have been with girls.”

“我有过几个姑娘。”


“I did not ask that. I asked if you had been in love—with a girl.”

“我不是问这个。我问你有没有跟个姑娘——谈过恋爱?”


“Yes, signor maggiore.”

“谈过,少校大人。”


“You are in love with this girl now? You don’t write her. I read all your letters.”

“你现在还爱她?你不给她写信。你的信我全看过了。”


“I am in love with her,” Pinin said, “but I do not write her.”

“我爱她的,”皮宁说,“不过我没给她写信。”


“You are sure of this?”

“这点你肯定吗?”


“I am sure.”

“我肯定。”


“Tonani,” the major said in the same tone of voice, “can you hear me talking?”

“托纳尼,”少校用同样的声调说,“你听得见我说话吗?”


There was no answer from the next room.

隔壁房里没有答腔。


“He can not hear,” the major said. “And you are quite sure that you love a girl?”

“他听不见,”少校说。“你十分肯定自己爱着一个姑娘。”


“I am sure.”

“我肯定。”


“And,” the major looked at him quickly, “that you are not corrupt?”

“那,”少校赶快看了他一眼,“你没变坏?”


“I don’t know what you mean, corrupt.”

“我不懂你说变坏是什么意思。”


“All right,” the major said. “You needn’t be superior.”

“好吧,”少校说。“你用不着自以为了不起。”


Pinin looked at the floor. The major looked at his brown face, down and up him, and at his hands. Then he went on, not smiling, “And you don’t really want—” the major paused. Pinin looked at the floor. “That your great desire isn’t really—” Pinin looked at the floor. The major leaned his head back on the rucksack and smiled. He was really relieved: life in the army was too complicated. “You’re a good boy,” he said. “You’re a good boy, Pinin. But don’t be superior and be careful some one else doesn’t come along and take you.”

皮宁看着地板。少校对着他那张晒黑的脸上上下下打量一番,又看看他双手。这才脸无笑容地接下去说,“你并非真要——”少校顿住话头。皮宁看着地板。“你最大的心愿并非真正——”皮宁看着地板。少校又把脑袋枕到背包上,笑了笑。他真正放心了: 部队里的生活太复杂了。“你是个好小子,”他说。“你是个好小子,皮宁。可是别自以为了不起,小心别让人家来要你命。”


Pinin stood still beside the bunk.

皮宁一动不动站在铺旁。


“Don’t be afraid,” the major said. His hands were folded on the blankets. “I won’t touch you. You can go back to your platoon if you like. But you had better stay on as my servant. You’ve less chance of being killed.”

“别害怕,”少校说。他两手交叉,搁在毯子上。“我不会碰你。你愿意可以回部队里去。不过你最好留下来当我勤务兵。送命的机会小一些。”


“Do you want anything of me, signer maggiore?”

“你还有什么吩咐,少校大人?”


“No,” the major said. “Go on and get on with whatever you were doing. Leave the door open when you go out.”

“没了,”少校说。“走吧,有什么事要办就去办。出去时让门开着。”


Pinin went out, leaving the door open. The adjutant looked up at him as he walked awkwardly across the room and out the door. Pinin was flushed and moved differently than he had moved when he brought in the wood for the fire. The adjutant looked after him and smiled. Pinin came in with more wood for the stove. The major, lying on his bunk, looking at his cloth-covered helmet and his snow-glasses that hung from a nail on the wall, heard him walk across the floor. The little devil, he thought, I wonder if he lied to me.

皮宁让门开着就出去了,副官抬眼看着。他尴尬地走过正房出去。皮宁涨红着脸,跟刚才抱着柴禾进屋时动作不一样。副官目送着他,笑了。皮宁又抱了些柴禾进屋。少校躺在铺上,望着挂在墙壁钉子上自己那顶遮着布的钢盔和雪地眼镜,听见他在地板上走过的脚步声。这小鬼,不知他是不是对我说了谎,他心下想。


(本文选自《海明威短篇小说全集》)


分享到:


相關文章: