英文故事夜讀Home Is Where The Heart Is

自我隔離在家,又拾起了很多年前的愛好。給大家讀一個來自Jack Canfield的文章。文章版權歸心靈雞湯


英文故事夜讀Home Is Where The Heart Is


Nothing had ever hit me quite so hard as driving behind the ambulance that was taking my dear friend, Alice, away to live in a nursing home.

沒有什麼能比打我開車跟著救護車把我親愛的朋友愛麗絲帶到了養老院更讓我傷心。

Alice had been my neighbour when I was growing up. She’d lived alone, and how she’d welcomed me into her generous heart and wonderful big red brick home.

我長大的時候愛麗絲就是我的鄰居。 她獨自一人住,她如何歡迎我走進她的慷慨內心和美好的大紅磚房。

Overnight, her life was reduced to a bed and a body with vacant eyes that announced, “Nobody’s home anymore.”

一夜之間,她的生活變成了一張床和一個空著的無神的眼睛,宣佈“沒人在家了”。

For weeks, I couldn’t bring myself to visit Alice. Then late one evening after a photo shoot, I dropped by to visit her. My eyes fell upon a big roll of address labels. They featured the address of the nursing home—not Alice’s home. I choked back tears at the finality of the situation. Plain and simple, this was to be Alice’s permanent address until heaven. “Dear Lord,” I prayed. “Help us both... somehow.”

幾個星期以來,我無法去看愛麗絲。 然後在拍照後的一個晚上,我順路拜訪了她。 我的目光落在一大卷地址標籤上。 他們的特色是療養院的地址,而不是愛麗絲的家。 最終情況使我哽咽淚下。 簡單明瞭,這是愛麗絲直到天堂的永久住所。 “親愛的上帝,”我祈禱。 “以某種方式幫助我們倆。”

I tapped Alice’s shoulder to rouse her and switched on the lamp above her tiny bed. Her tightly permed gray curls framed gentle wrinkles. “It’s me—Roberta,” I whispered, trying to sound cheerful.

我輕拍愛麗絲的肩膀喚醒她,然後打開小床上方的燈。 她緊緊地燙著的灰色捲髮勾勒出柔和的皺紋。 “是我-羅伯塔,”我小聲說,試圖聽起來很開朗。

Alice and I enjoyed one of our best visits ever, reminiscing about the old neighborhood and thanking the Lord for Alice’s new one. She was excited about leading a little crafts group, and I welcomed her advice about wall papering my bedroom. When it was time for me to leave her snug room, Alice hobbled beside me down the long hallway to the front door. “They take such good care of me here,” she reassured me. “Why I don’t even have to find someone to mow the grass.” As I headed to my car, Alice paused in the doorway, wearing the new housecoat I’d brought her. She waved and blew me a kiss. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her chuckling with her new family.”

我和愛麗絲(Alice)和我一起享受著有史以來最好的一次探訪,回想起舊社區,並感謝上帝為愛麗絲(Alice)的新訪問。 她對領導一個小手工藝品小組感到很興奮,我歡迎她提出有關在臥室牆紙的建議。 當我該離開她舒適的房間時,愛麗絲在我旁邊走到前門的長長的走廊上。 “他們在這裡照顧我,”她向我保證。 “為什麼我什至不必找人割草。” 當我上車時,愛麗絲穿著我帶給她的新外套停在門口。 她揮手並吹了我一個吻。 在我的眼角之外,我看到她和她的新家庭開玩笑。”

I smiled to myself. Alice’s heart was home. And thanks to answered prayer and some true hospitality, at long last, so was mine.”

我對自己微笑。 愛麗絲的心在家。 最後,感謝祈禱者的祈禱和真正的盛情款待。”

New words and expressions

  • a body with vacant eyes 無神的眼睛
  • I dropped by to visit her 順便
  • switched on the lamp 開燈


分享到:


相關文章: